B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rpm rising at stop, not tb

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Default Rpm rising at stop, not tb

Its a 99.5 a4 qtm, when coming to a stop idle rises to 1200 then slowly drops to 800. The only work i have done recently was replace crankcase breather, tb was spotless when i reinstalled it. Not even a CEL, Anyone have any ideas? Maybe idle control sensor idk, just seeing if anyone else has had this happen and what the fix was. Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

is u car misfiring a bit? if yes, then im sure u got a vacuum leak,
if not, could be you MAF. disconnect your MAF and see if the problem is gone.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM

disconnected MAF and it started bogging out, plugged it back in and idled fine. Im assuming that means its working properly. My boost gauge reads 12 to 15 vacuum at idle and 28 after pushing clutch in and coasting on highway. I did a boost leak test and thats how i found the major crankcase breather leak, there was another leak toward the back of the motor but i ran out of money to fix it. The car ran great even with the second leak, better throttle response, and quicker boost. The problem just started happening yesterday. I'll check the plugs and gap, but im not feeling a misfire and no CEL

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

i doubt your plugs are bad...
it might be a bad check valve

Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear

and yeah, your maf seems to be working properly

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 AM

Sorry to thread jack but I'm curious....I don't have a cel for my MAF, but when I disconnect it idle changes a little but then goes back to normal. That means its not functioning properly?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by a7xrob
Its a 99.5 a4 qtm, when coming to a stop idle rises to 1200 then slowly drops to 800. The only work i have done recently was replace crankcase breather, tb was spotless when i reinstalled it. Not even a CEL, Anyone have any ideas? Maybe idle control sensor idk, just seeing if anyone else has had this happen and what the fix was. Thanks
i know this is pretty stupid to even ask, but just making sure you did a throttle body alignment...

Originally Posted by gabeguimaraes
Sorry to thread jack but I'm curious....I don't have a cel for my MAF, but when I disconnect it idle changes a little but then goes back to normal. That means its not functioning properly?
why the hell would you disconnect it? you just cant start pulling random sensors just for the hell of it...

Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 AM
3rd Gear

did u drive with no MAF on?
if your car drive fine (with maf) then you are ok.
when MAF gets dirty, it messes up your air flow, thats why the easiest way to see if your maf is bad is to disconnect it and see what happens...
if your car drives normal, then your maf is ok.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
3rd Gear

if you are having a problem beforehand like bad idle, misfires or bogging down- and disconnecting the MAF makes it better, then yes your MAF is bad. the car will run off of preprogramed software if there is no MAF input. If the MAF is sending bad information, disconnecting it so the car runs off that software instead makes it better.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Yea plugs were fine, and yes i did the TB alignment. I think the ecu maybe at fault here, ive had 3 bad experience's with chipped ecu's lol. Maybe i'll pick up another see if thats the case. Any reason a chip or the ecu would stop functioning properly? Like say timing chain skipped or something? IDk. If anyone can think of anything else for the main issue lemme know and we'll see how it goes! Thanks guys

Last edited by a7xrob; 05-07-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Rpm rising at stop, not tb