B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

rod knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Default rod knock

so my car died, i took the spark plugs out and found that one had broke off and pretty much destroyed my motor as far as i know. when i start it now with the new plugs it barely runs and has a really loud knock.
really sucks.
anyone have any opinions on wat my outcome might be?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Site Moderator

Damn.... This is what started the monster formerly known as Tom Ritt...
Start with a compression test, but if you are sure the ground on the plug broke off, then ya, time to get a quality $200 A-B'er and tear down your motor. Look at it as a new begining with an end result of somewhere around 350whp... Sucks though.. How old were your plugs? What kind of plugs?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 PM

not sure wat kind of plugs, the guy said they were the more expensive platinum ones tho haha i guess there not to good after all. idk how old they where tho they came on the car when i bought it, i bought it about a year ago. the plug definetly broke off into the engine tho... wats an A - B'er?? haha my dad is a mechanic we do most of our work at home although we dont have a shop we have a LOT of tools.

wat are some ideas i can do to it while the motor is out to get some horse power so i dont full anymore sh*tty about the situation and have a bright side to maybe look forward too

Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Site Moderator

A-B, something that gets you from point A to point B. Doesnt have to be pretty, in fact, prferably a heaping POS that you force yourself to suffer through for transportation in hopes that all embarassment will be redeemed by your built up new and improved A4.

Hate to say it, but you should have replaced your plugs when you got your car for "clean slate" purposes. Boosted engines should have their plugs changed semi frequently at least imo. They take a lot of abuse. I recommend copper plugs as opposed to plat just because copper is the ultimate conductor of electricity and a great disipator of heat. They foul more quickly than plats though. But are a fraction of the cost.

First thing is to do a compression check just to prove what you know is likely. Then worry about what you want out of the car. Do you have smoke coming out the tail pipe'?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM

i already did the compression check it has plenty of compression in all 4 cylinders

Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Site Moderator

What were the #'s for each cyl? Should be 150-180 psi for each cyl.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM

well maybe not plenty. it was about 120 for each cylinder

Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Site Moderator

I might be wrong then. As long as they are all relative to each other I guess. I'd be surprised if the piece hasn't made it through an exhaust valve, but it's possible it hasnt, and the knocking you hear is the piece smashing between your piston/valves. I guess it's too big to go between the cyl/cyl wall. Stop driving it, take the head off and check it out. You might just need new valves.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM

yeah my dad was surprised it didnt go out the exauhst vavle. hopefully its nothing super expensive

Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Site Moderator

If thats the case, Id take the head off before your piston gets too mangled. Def don't drive it.

Quick Reply: rod knock