B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rev Matching Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Rev Matching Question?

I hate to sound like such a noob, but after using the search feature, I didn't find exactley what I was looking for, which brings me here. I drive a '98 a4 1.8t quattro 5spd. This is my first manual car I've had. It only took me a good 20 minutes to pick it up though, and I was driving on the freeway in stop and go traffic, and through town. The questions I had were:

#1- I hear people use the term "rev matching" a lot. I know it has to do with matching your rpms when shifting gears. I usually shift around 4k - 4.5k rmps, and it doesn't seem that I'm getting the maximum 'pull' out of the car. What would you guys reccomend shifting at, and if you could explain to me how to rev match that would be awesome.

#2 - When I know I'm coming to a complete stop, such as a stop sign, or a light that just turned, I just put the clutch in and slip into neutral and coast to a stop. IS this bad for the car? I'm trying to learn how to slow down using the gears, but I still suck at it, and usually every time I let the clutch out slow the car jerks a lot. Is there a good way to learn how to do this that anyone can explain to me so that its smooth? Maybe by giving me a slight guideline as to what gears go with what mph's. (such as when accelerating from a dead stop, 1st gear will get you to 25mph, then shift and second will get you from 26mph to 45mp, etc. etc.)

#3- When I shift gears, after I put in the clutch and change the gear, and as I'm letting the clutch out, I have this bad habit of starting to accelerate a little before the clutch is all the way out so the rpms rev a little, then drop when its all the way out. Not so much in a fast panic rev matter, but more like a slow, feeding motion as the clutch feeds out. Sometimes it feels good and powers out, other times it feels aweful and jerks a little. Should I just shift, and let the clutch ALL the way out before giving it any gas?

I know its a lot to read, but I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Rev Matching Question?

1) shift at 5-5.5k. That is where the hp is maxed and will fall off after that fast. It will also take you back to the heart of the tq range.

2) coasting to a stop in N isnt bad, but not advised by many. The reason is if something happens, you can speed up to miss it. But it doesnt hurt anything. To drive smooth, slow down in gear till below 2k and then press in the clutch if needed. Also, run in a higher gear at it will be smoother. Drive by revs, not mph.

3)You still need to give it a tiny bit of gas when the clutch is decompressing. When you are about 90% released, then start to give it more gas. Basically, it comes down to practice

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear

#1- As Cincy said, 5.5k if you're going for it.

#2 - Extra wear on the brakes compared to downshifting, and doesn't stop as well like downshifting, but not bad for the car. When you're doing your 5.5k shifts, note what speed you're going. Made up example: 45 is 5.5k in 3rd. When you're slowing down and you're at 45 mph, rev your motor to 5.5k with the clutch in and slide the shifter into 3rd. No bouncing!

#3- You could. It's experience here. Your foot will learn what to do.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

1. try you tubing or googling for it..... im pretty sure ive seen vids there in the past... also while your at it look around for "heel and toe" downshifting.... but all in steps....

and for everything else... if its not smooth then its not right (most of thetime)... imagine you have a cup of you beverage of choice in the cup holder... if it were to spill then you wernt smooth enough... its all about finding that sweet spot

Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, get as smooth as possible, and then back up to right at the limit of smooth to get more life out of your clutch.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

alright, thanks for the help guys. I'll note the 5.5k shifting, and I'll practice the rev matches slowly but surely along with the downshifting. I was also wondering if its normal for the shifter to start feeling a little more harder to shift into 1st and 2nd gear when the car warms up, like after driving for a while? I noticed when I shift into 1st when its hot,I feel some friction, and it kinda clunks into place as opposed to sliding smoothly in like when its cold.... same with second gear, just not as bad.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

wow,..I feel like a granny driver now. I shift at like 2k rpms. lol

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

2) if it's jerking while you're downshifting you're still letting the clutch out too fast. if i'm coming up to a light in 4th, ill push the clutch while gently braking, put it in 3rd, and let the clutch out really slow while still braking. then the same way down into 2nd or whatever. it just takes a while of doing it to get to know your clutch and how it engages to avoid jerkiness.

3) what you are doing, while it's of course smoother than upshifting without touching the gas, is causing friction and burning the clutch. just not so bad that you can smell it. The sort of strained-rev-up-then-down you see is the clutch slipping, then grabbing again.

its kind of the opposite of rev matching. when you disengage (press) the clutch and still have pressure on the gas, it'll rev higher momentarily, rather than dropping down as if you let of the gas entirely. then you can put it into the next gear at the same rpms you pressed the clutch at.

the way you're describing, you are pressing the clutch, then revving the gas as it re-engages, not disengages. that's whats giving it the slipping feeling. hope that helped.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

I shift around 3/4K to save gas---But thats just me, you get much better gas milage when you shift early. Hoenstly shifting is all personal prefernce---What one does other might not(like my Buddy TT350z) puts it in first at 35, his engine is built for it but i would never do that---

Again i always coast in neutral when i am coming to a stop, When i first got a manual i would always downshift to come to a stop--I thought it was fun and cool but cyncros(sp) are not cheap to get put in, and they go through lots of wear with downshifting. I always am on the gas when i turn though(of course you need to downshift) I match the RPMS(just by knowing my car) to the speed. So if i am going to shift into 3rd gear at 40 ill rev it to like 2500.

I dont gas it before the clutch is fully out.