B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

replacing tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by EpicWin
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. There will be a difference and it will be material compared to a Hunter machine. .
In theory I totaly agree. In reality, disagree. Me, acetrebo, and arif have done our TRE's by counting the threads, etc. and the alignment is good and center and has been for years. Probably not as accurate as the hunter machine, but certainly within milimeters... Unless you end up with crooked/pulling steering with rapid/uneven front tread wear, I think it's woth saving the $50+ for the alignment. It's so simple. Maybe you arent familar with Audi's, but as I said, the ONLY spot for alignment adjustment is the tie rod ends. So even if you replaced shocks/lower control arm/ball joint/bushing, etc. you would not need an alignment.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 11-20-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
the alignment is good and center and has been for years. Probably not as accurate as the hunter machine, but certainly within milimeters
This is the same front end as a B5 Passat, which I know pretty well... the Tie Rod recall was decently paying and I did a lot of them. I guess my point is, a mm is a pretty significant difference in toe for $50, which if you have a decent set of tires, is a fraction of the cost. Counting threads was always a part of my routine.

I think the other "adjustable" part of the b5 front end alignment of the front end is the crossmember. You can loosen it up and move it a bit (anchor bolt holes are slightly enlarged) to get what you need out of it... which I always thought was a bit primitive.

You could very well DIY and get a straight steering wheel... or make a steering wheel straight by making adjustments, depends on your cash situation and priorities, I 'spose. If I was competing with this car, Das ist verboten.