B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

replacing control arms DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Default replacing control arms DIY

i just received my complete front upper and lower control arm kit and i plan on replacing them this weekend when the weather is a little nicer here.

I have a few DIY with some instructions that should help me along. Ive replaced my own shocks and springs before but nothing suspension major like this.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks for this DIY...anything helps.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Have patience. I used this DIY last summer along with the Audi repair manual and it worked out fine. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

im waiting for my stern adjustable control arms to come in and im planning on installing this week....let me know how it goes and good luck

Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by gaberossi
im waiting for my stern adjustable control arms to come in and im planning on installing this week....let me know how it goes and good luck
ya you do the same boss. im from colorado and my car sees alot of snow and saltly roads so i think my biggest issue might be getting some bolts loose but other than that it cant be as hard as replacing my timing belt!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

damn good luck with that man...the timing belt is a bitch but when your done and you got a cold beer in your hand you feel like you accomplished something

Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 PM

timing belt WAS a bitch. took over a weekend to complete. many beers were kicked to say the least..

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

good stuff....let me know how this all comes out and i'll do the same

Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

PATIENCE!!!!! Follow the tutorial from AudiWorld and you'll be fine. Make sure you have ALL the tools you'll need. And plan on devoting some time to that bastard hanging above your wheel.

I took the advice from a forum member a lot wiser than I, The Bishop. Take the whole damn assembly out at once, I mean undo the lowers then the uppers and work on it out of the vehicle. Trust me, it was a walk in the park to get the pinch bolt done. A little elbow grease, a drill and cutting wheel and she was good to go. Then it's just pieceing everything together.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM

thanks for the opinion obnxdrunk!!

and ya i have that audiworld DIY.

really shouldnt be too bad. looking forward to fixing my car and getting a little dirty. my front alignment has been off for awhile and i havent had the money to order the part so driving it to and from work has completely annihilated my rear tires which kind of sucks. it will be good to get the audi back on the asphalt!!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear

good luck on the project. After all the b.s. I went through (you can check past posts) I actually am glad I did everything myself. There was a lot to do for the front suspension, I did everything. Springs, shocks, control arms, wheel bearings, front and rear brakes.

Its a sight to see when you pull all the **** out of the front and have two empty spaces in the wheel wells, nothing but an axle

Like I said, it's a step by step process, don't rush yourself. DO NOT do this if you have some sort of imminent deadline. Something always comes up. Estimate that you will have to take a few breathers and possibly just walk away from it for a bit if she gives you trouble. Be patient, if eveything goes alright, even with 2 or 3 surprises, you should be done in a weekend. I've heard others can do it in a day.

Quick Reply: replacing control arms DIY