B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Removing side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Removing side moldings

Hey all,

I tried searching for this, but all I came up with was a bunch of threads regarding removing the lower rubber molding from the bottom of the doors. I was wondering if anyone knew if the strips that run in about the middle of the door, the ones painted with the rest of the car, are just glue taped on or if they have rivets behind them as well.

After a long period of consideration and contemplation on the look, I've decided the side profile of the car would look better without them but don't want to bother trying to take them off, at least right now, if there are holes I'm going to have to patch and repaint.

Thanks in advance

P.S. If anyone else has done this and has pics of how it looks without the strips, I'd love to see an actual shot of how it looks, rather than just maintain the mental image I have of how it would look

Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

are you talking about the black strips that are on the inside of the door on the "side skirt" or the rocker panel? if so, its just double sided sticky taped on...its a PITA to get off and cleanly...if you do take it off use goo gone and a lot of it! http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext47.shtml about mid way down it shows the moldings on and then the next picture is with them off and then with the goo removed with goo gone... if you do remove this i would suggest doing the s4 skirts they just pull the entire car together and after looking at that link you will reconsider it

Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Administrator

I think he's talkin about the bump strips in the middle of the doors. They're just on there with double sided tape IIRC. Member A4_2.8Tuner (I think) has a build thread floating around from when he shaved all the lower mouldings and bump strips...

EDIT: I lied. Here's the thread.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=124375

Last edited by CCA4; 09-16-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for linking that thread, cc, it was exactly what I was looking for. The bump strips indeed are what I want to take off, but alas, pics from that thread reveal cumbersome holes to patch guess removing those strips is going to have to wait...

Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
5th Gear

cubersome yes but it looks daym clean without it

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear

^ Yea, that's why I want to do it; I just don't have time or money to patch holes, sand the whole car and repaint it. With some luck, the B5 will still be running in a couple years when I get my B7 2.0t I want and I will be making enough money by then with a physics degree to fully bolt the B7 and make a slick show car out of the B5, similar to what 2.8_tuner has done, but of course, with my own flavors of show

Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
^ Yea, that's why I want to do it; I just don't have time or money to patch holes, sand the whole car and repaint it. With some luck, the B5 will still be running in a couple years when I get my B7 2.0t I want and I will be making enough money by then with a physics degree to fully bolt the B7 and make a slick show car out of the B5, similar to what 2.8_tuner has done, but of course, with my own flavors of show
an Audi enthusiast/scientist, that makes two of us lol. Although I'm not really one, just love it

Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
No need to paint the whole car. Just patch the holes and have the lower part of the doors painted. Blend the lower part of the door with the upper.

Last edited by dmaxn; 09-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

^ a worthy thought to keep in mind, though everyone I have talked to, including people who DO body/paint work, tell me that silver is one of the biggest PITAs to blend and match and have it look decent. And besides, both of my bumpers and hood are trashed as all hell from the previous owner so I might as well do the whole thing haha

Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

A good shop would be able to do it, but I see you may need alot more work done. What your looking to do will really bring the cost up. I know Don has a connection at a body shop and his car looks amazing with the amount of work he did. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Removing side moldings