B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Removing Shipping Plugs from headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing Shipping Plugs from headlight

Hello guys,

I just got my car back from the body shop and it came out great, you'd never know it was a Maaco paint job. No runs, no overspray, no bubbles, and they even used factory paint. They guys were really cool and let me bring my own parts to cut down on costs. So I brought a hood, bumper, grille, and a headlight, all of which I bought on Craigslist.

The headlight I bought was $60 which I thought was decent. However, it's a halogen and not a xenon like my old light. But since all the electronics in my old light still work, I figured I'd just swap them out, I only needed a new housing.

With that said, the halogen light doesn't have auto-leveling and so there's a shipping plug where the motor would normally go. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove it. I have seen this thread over at audizine, but the shipping plug in the pictures is different. My shipping plug is made completely out of white plastic and there's no screw holding it in. Instead, it seems like I have to either twist it out by hand or with a large allen key. I can loosen it by hand, but it's still stuck in there once loose. I feel like it's almost like the cap of a pill bottle if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of it at the moment and I don't really have time to get some until spring break with exams rolling around the corner. But I will try and get some on here asap.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

They're a PITA, you stick an large allen key into the middle and twist counterclockwise about 1/4 turn to unlock it. After that pry it away like the guide says. Be careful not to break the part of the housing that attaches to the ball on the end of the levelling motor, you have to pry pretty hard to get it undone.