B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Removing the Headliner??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing the Headliner??

Just wondering if anyone knew how to remove the headliner. Wanted to make my own custom headliner. Let me know please. I was looking at it and wasn't really sure where to start...besides the handles.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Site Moderator

Start with the sunroof glass, put the glass in tilt mode and remove the plastic covers hiding the bolts. Mark the bolts with white out so they go back where they were, remove the 6 T25 torx bolts. Push the glass out from the top and remove the glass. Now go on top of the roof and slowly pry the metal strip that goes around the headliner, try not to bend it. Once thats out go back inside and start removing all the handles. Then pop off the cover where the sunroof switch is, remove the two philips screws and pry down the unit and dis-connect all the electrical connectors. Now its time to remove the pillar trims. Start with the center rear one, just pop it off. Then go to the A pillars and pop those clips out, these may require a long screwdriver and a lot of force. Move to the B pillars, then the C and D pillars. The headliner should just be hanging by a couple of clips now, just yank it down and it should come out.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:01 AM

After removing the sunroof, can i simply remove the slider and repai it's headliner without removing any trim for the main headliner? Could I siimply paint the slider gray and make it work?

- Mike

Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Why would you remove the sunroof glass? I've done mine twice.

Step 1: Remove all the pillars, the center pillars have two clips at the top wedge a screwdriver in and pop them out. Be careful and patient it is very easy to break the plastic! If you have air bags in your pillars remove the air bag symbols, there is one torx screw holding them on. Just pull towards you after the screw is removed.

2. Remove all the grab handles, sun visors, lighting, etc. Grab handles have torx screws holding them on, sunvisors have torx screws the clips the sun visors rest in have philips head screws the sunroof switch and lights in the front have two phillips head screws holding it on. Remove the plastic trim around the lights to reveal the screws.

3. Once everything touching the headliner is removed pull down from the sunroof carefully. There is some clips holding it in. now from the front pull down and push back headliner should drop. Once it is free work it through the front passenger door with the seats laying as flat as they will go. You really have to be patient with this as the headliner doesn't really bend so just work it through the door.

If you want to remove the sunroof slider. You have to remove the 6 bolts holding the sunroof frame up, be careful!!!! Use two people it will be much easier, the thing is really heavy and the glass is attached to it. Two people make life much easier putting it back in. I did it alone so if you plan on that make sure you are flexible because I was holding the front up with my feet as I bolted the back in! Not fun....

When you have the sunroof frame removed from the car you have to work at getting the slider out. It's not very easy, I actually broke the 4 slider arms trying to get mine out. Now when I punch the gas the slider slides back...oh well, you live and learn.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM

I was interested because I only wanted to replace the headliner on the slider. I had cracked the plastic vent panel that spans the slider and was screwing it into the slider. While doing so, the headliner pulled away from the slider and is trashed. Evidently, the adhesive disintegrates from the heat over time and is worthless. I had no need to take out the balance of the headliner. Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM

My apologies for bringing back an old thread, but perhaps somebody else will have the same issue I'm having...

Since my headliner has been sagging since before I bought the car, I've decided to reupholster it. So far I've got all the panels out (cracked BOTH the C/D trim panels pretty badly...), headliner is unclipped from by the rear window, all handles off, sun visor hinges off, sunroof control and middle sun visor removed. All that's left is the sunroof ring, and the damn sun visor caps.

Anybody know of a good way to take off the sun visor retainer caps? Apparently there are screws underneath there. Those caps don't seem to want to come off without destroying them and/or the headliner. The pieces I'm talking about are in the pic below. You'll notice I tore the headliner from around where this piece goes.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the Headliner??-1219101853.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 AM

Well I ended up cutting one of those caps off so I could find out how they attach. They need to pressed outward from the inside, on the side facing the rear of the car. Once that was figure out it took 5 seconds to get the other one off...

Now I am REALLY stuck on how to get the (*******) headliner out of the car. I can't seem to rotate it to get it through the passenger door, and it DEFINITELY doesn't seem to want to fit through the opening with the back seats down to pull it through the trunk. How (the ****) do I get this thing out?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

passenger door is best. youll have to bend and twist a little, dont worry about hurtung it. its just cardboard basically

Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Ended up finally getting the headliner out of the car, through the passenger door as suggested. What a BITCH of a job though, doesn't help that it's been raining. To get it out, I needed the front seats all the way back and laid all the way down, steering wheel all the way forward and down, and shift **** off (even with a short-height short throw shifter). The fabric already started peeling so it left a bunch of the red-orange foam-based adhesive all over my BEIGE interior. Most of it vacuumed up, but some was smudged into the fabric as the headliner rubbed the seats.

Speaking of that red-orange adhesive, any tips/hints on removal of it? I've started scraping with both a chisel and a wide thin-bladed tool (spreader of sorts) but either way it would take hours to remove the crap and probably a whole role of paper towels too.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

a grill brush man. the first one i did by hand, it sucked. the wire brush works good

Quick Reply: Removing the Headliner??