B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

remove the catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM

labree and techtonics

Old 12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

yea dude the stock cat is really restrictive....
and yea go with labree, i have one and its awesome, and i hear good things bout techtonics too...so either one should do fine..

Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nova_ss672001
yea dude the stock cat is really restrictive....
and yea go with labree, i have one and its awesome, and i hear good things bout techtonics too...so either one should do fine..
I have a LaBree...it's badass...and Brent (LaBree) is awesome.

Here's a write up on how to do it.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng114.shtml

Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

yea only that that guy threw in a test pipe instead soo you wont have to drill anything everything is pre-drilled and everything so its just a bolt-on...and umm get some new bolts 3 out of 3 bolts snaped on me when i was installing it so yea if you are going with the labree get some new different bolts, not the ones brent gives you....

Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

what would the gains be between a test pipe versus a hfc

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear

on a stock engine a test pipe will get you like +20-30 horsepower and around +30 tq. a high flow cat will be slightly under those numbers obviously.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks all for your help

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

Not to threadjack, but I have a question almost identical to this but didn't see the point in starting a new thread for it so I'll be fast.

When I first head of the concept of a testpipe, I was thrilled that you could gain a somewhat reasonable amount of horses by putting one one, but was put down by the knowledge that my state requires emissions tests. I then thought, "well what if I stuck the testpipe on for the majority of the year, and swapped the stock cat back in on the day I go for emissions test?" which seems like a pretty reasonable way to do it. The problem I ran into after that was that I don't have access to a lift to get under the car to do the swaps, but recently learned that one of my friends' dad has one readily available.

So my question is why cant I find a testpipe for the 2.8? I scoured ebay and all I could find was for a B5 1.8t, not one popped up for a 2.8, can I not put a testpipe on my 2.8 at all, or are they just hard to come by? Seeing as I'm very limited for power mods on this car, exhaust is pretty much my only option to get any gains so if anyone can point me in the direction of a testpipe for a 2.8, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-J

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
Not to threadjack, but I have a question almost identical to this but didn't see the point in starting a new thread for it so I'll be fast.

When I first head of the concept of a testpipe, I was thrilled that you could gain a somewhat reasonable amount of horses by putting one one, but was put down by the knowledge that my state requires emissions tests. I then thought, "well what if I stuck the testpipe on for the majority of the year, and swapped the stock cat back in on the day I go for emissions test?" which seems like a pretty reasonable way to do it. The problem I ran into after that was that I don't have access to a lift to get under the car to do the swaps, but recently learned that one of my friends' dad has one readily available.

So my question is why cant I find a testpipe for the 2.8? I scoured ebay and all I could find was for a B5 1.8t, not one popped up for a 2.8, can I not put a testpipe on my 2.8 at all, or are they just hard to come by? Seeing as I'm very limited for power mods on this car, exhaust is pretty much my only option to get any gains so if anyone can point me in the direction of a testpipe for a 2.8, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-J

You're not going to see significant gains from a test pipe on a 2.8. Naturally aspirated engines rely on back pressure for low-end torque. Removing your cat will most likely reduce your low end torque for just a couple of ponies up at the top of the rev range. The sacrifice and cost is likely not worth it.

Also, 20-30 hp gains from a test pipe is an extremely generous number on a 1.8T, even with a chip. The stock cat is not that restrictive

Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

yea agreed its probably more like 10-15 or so...

but from my experience just swapping out the cat to a hfc made a way better difference as in throttle response...so imo it was restrictive....

Quick Reply: remove the catalytic converter