B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Relocated DV

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default Relocated DV

After running out of room on the turbo side of the car, I needed a way to mount a diverter valve somewhere in the intake piping. Instead of keeping the valve on the passenger side of the car and having even more hoses in there blocking airflow around the turbo, I came up with this little setup...

Is a 8" section of aluminum intercooler pipe, im using 2.5" this will be more difficult to make if you are using anything smaller. The throttle body flange is 2.5" so this size will be a direct fit. Also the PVC pieces i used are not ideal, a 1" 90 degree aluminum pipe welded on would be best, but this was done for the cheap.

Name:  0806081318c.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  116.4 KB

The PVC pieces are:
1x 3/4" 90 degree threaded elbow
1x 3/4" male threaded to 3/4" slip joint
1x 1.5" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe
1x Plumbers Epoxy

Glue all the PVC pieces together, then drill out a hole in the metal pipe that the 90 degree piece will fit through. The epoxy comes in a roll and you knead it in your hands to activate. Roll it out into a long rod and wrap it around the threads on the outside of the pipe as you can see in the above picture, press it in to everywhere you can. Then make another long piece of epoxy and do the same on the inside of the pipe, as you can see in this picture...

Name:  0806081319.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  136.4 KB

Press it into the threads of the PVC piece sticking thru, this will give the epoxy something to grab onto. I made the epoxy as smooth as i could so it wouldnt disrupt airflow much.

The black hose is i believe 5/8" rubber/vynal washing maching hose i found at Home Depot. $2.50 per foot. In order to get this hose over the PVC and DV, you need to dip it in boiling water for a minuit to heat it up. Then once the hose cools, its so stiff that it will never blow off. I actualy had to cut the hose off if you need to remove it. It assembles as in the pictures.

Name:  0806081318.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  151.3 KB

You need to loose fit everything in the car to get the angle of the 90 degree PVC pipe and the angle of the DV BEFORE you epoxy it and boil the hose on there, as it will be too tight to even spin, and epoxy doesnt move.

Name:  0806082223a.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  43.2 KB

Here it is installed, you can see the white PVC piece, the top of the picture is the front of the car. The DV is underneath for a clean look. The black hose routes however is easiest for you, around the back of the engine, along the side of the car, then connects to a piece of PVC piping- the same pvc pipe you used between the DV and the IC pipe. the 3/4" inside diameter PVC fits nicely in the stock DV location in the air intake hose. Use a hose clamp on that.

You can see the thick black hose running across the back of the engine.

Name:  0806082223b.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  65.1 KB

Ive noticed that i no longer hear the DV operate, at all. Its completely silent, and i like that. I never liked the BOV sound, but if you do then this mod isnt for you. It works more efficiently then the stock location because instead of the intake air backing up at the throttle body all the way back thrru the entire intake pipe to the stock DV, the turbo then has to push all that air back when the TB opens back up. By venting it right before the TB the intake air keeps going right out the DV, never backing up. Enjoy.

Last edited by ghost6303; 08-12-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear

That hose is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for your DV. But props for trying something new.

How did you run out of room? What's in the way?

Last edited by Tweaked; 08-12-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by Tweaked
How did you run out of room? What's in the way?
Probably his FMIC piping.

I can appreciate the creativity and hard work. I just feel like there has to be a better way to go about the PVC elbow/epoxy stuff. I know epoxy is tough, and it's smoothed, but going through so many hot/cold cycles, eventually it will weaken, and you DON'T want any of that getting sucked into the TB-->intake mani-->ENGINE. With it sticking out inside the pipe like it is, regardless of how smooth the epoxy is, there is bound to be unneeded turbulance and restriction created before the air reaches the TB. You better get a turbonator to correct that

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-13-2008 at 10:43 AM.