B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Regarding transmission oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Regarding transmission oil change...

Hi.. everyone...

I have 2000 a4 quattro... which is 180000 miles on...

is it ok to change transmission oil change?

please give me and answer~

thank..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

Auto or Manual? For a manual transmission, I would not hesitate to change it. I replaced mine at 150k and shifting was so much smoother. I used Redline MTL, which is a fully synthetic GL-4 oil safe for the yellow metals in the syncros.

There are differing camps on if you should change out the atf on a high mileage auto tranny. Changing the fluid in an auto is also a little more involved as you need to use VAG-COM to check that the fluid level is correct at the right temp, etc.

Since you have a quattro, you may also want to concider changing the rear diff oil as well. Any gear oil will be fine. The auto tranny also has a separate drain for the center diff as it uses gear oil rather than atf.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

thank you for the response .. my car is automatic....

what should I have to consider to change?? because I just got the car and I have no

Idea about this car...I only did timing...

thanks....

Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jaesae84
what should I have to consider to change??
Filter and fluid. Check this kit for $139. You don't have to have a VAG-COM. But you do have to check the level when the ATF is less than 30C. W/O a VAG-COM, you can just buy a cheap, digital thermometer at Home Depot...the kind with the wire and probe that hangs out your window. Let it sit overnight so the trans cools down well. Then just snake that sensor up into the fill hole and make sure it's in the ATF. When the temp is right and you've run it through all the gears, fill till it runs out the fill hole.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

Some more info on changing the ATF on these cars:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2797651

[url]http://www.audiction.com/audi-maintenance/audi-01v-tipronic-transmission-fluid-change/[url]

I think that the center differential in an automatic holds a little less than a quart of gear oil. The rear differential holds 2 quarts. Might as well change that while you're at it.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Smile

thank you very much```````

Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

So i need to change center and rear differential gear oil?

If so..where is the center differential valve?

Thank you....

Last edited by jaesae84; 05-24-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear

I've never worked on one of the auto transmissions in these cars, but there should be drain plug on the bottom of the transmission where the rear drive shaft exits, and a fill plug above it toward the passenger side. On the manual cars, the center diff shares fluid with the transmission, so I haven't had to go and find it.

Be sure to remove the fill plug first so that you know that you can replace the oil that you drain. The rear diff plugs (drain and fill) are 10mm allen head if I remember correctly. The center diff is probably something similar.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

thank you.... I changed rear differential gear oil...... and I quoted by the

phone with Audi dealer and they said don't change the transmission oil and

fiter.... with my high mileage...

Is that true?????

thanks~

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

That's where the debate begins. Some say that changing the ATF on high mileage cars can do more harm than good as it can dislodge debris that has built up. Others argue that the new fluid alone should be better an prolong its life.

As for what you should do, I have no data to support either claim, so it's up to you. You should also know that Audi will claim that the transmission fluid is a "lifetime" fluid and should never need to be changed.

Good job on changing the rear diff. Was yours as much of a stinky mess as mine was? The oil that came out of mine was more like maple syrup that smelled like fermented dill pickles mixed with monkey ****.

Quick Reply: Regarding transmission oil change...