B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Recommend a HID kit "problems after ordering DDM

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Recommend a HID kit "problems after ordering DDM

I'm from Finland so buying from the USA is very pricey.

I was checking how much it will cost to buy a HID from DDM and it showed free shipping so i ordered.
after 4 days i get this email from them:

"I wanted to inform you that your shipping wasn't calculated correctly. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you would like the order to be shipped we will need an additional payment of $101.78."

The kit cost only 40$ so asking 140$ is a ripoff.......

I asked my money back but so far no reply " that was 1 week ago!"

What do you guys think, any good kits from ebay or other shops that have reasonable shipping prices and most important good quality?

Sorry for my bad english :/

Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

Bad english? Read some of Andrew's posts and then come back and try to tell us your english is bad. He's from America, too.

Not sure what to tell you about the HID's, but make sure you get your money back from DDM.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NickBroderick
Bad english? Read some of Andrew's posts and then come back and try to tell us your english is bad. He's from America, too.
LMAO!!!!!!

OP, that sucks that you had that problem with DDMTuning. I think they have a good kit and a very good warranty (lifetime). Anyway, to answer your question, there are only 2 other brands I trust (but prefer DDM), they are VVME's - Chinese brand that makes 55W kits and Xentec (I have these in my fogs for over year with no problems) which makes slim ballast 35W kits. Both can be had on ebay for around $50 bucks plus shipping.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
2nd Gear

I like DDMTuning, but it's a well known fact when you have a problem with them, their customer service is complete batshit. You need to CALL and CALL REPEATEDLY.

I had ordered about 3 kits from them before finally having a problem, and it took 4 phones calls, the first three I got the same line of BS before finally the 4th person was honest.

I still recommend them though. Their kits are freaking indestructible. As one fell off my car and got dragged down the high way and kept working.

Plus the price.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

The VVME kit will cost me around 75$ shipped, which is not bad. but is it good ? do i need the relay harness ? and how is the slim version ?

If ddm will offer a reasonable shipping price i would take it from them but 101$ is way over priced.

Xentec looks like to be sold only by american companies over ebay and the shipping is expensive

Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Eaglerock

If ddm will offer a reasonable shipping price i would take it from them but 101$ is way over priced.
DDM is in CA and ship only via UPS and in reality that's simply the cost. It's not over priced. Besides, the EURO is up against the dollar.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Eaglerock

DDM is in CA and ship only via UPS and in reality that's simply the cost. It's not over priced. Besides, the EURO is up against the dollar.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

I know a lot of people with the VVME's in my area and they don't have issues. I also installed one in a friend's Mercedes over a year ago and he hasn't had issues. I installed the normal version, I didn't know they came out with slim versions. I would have chosen VVME's but I went with DDM's because of their "lifetime" warranty which judging by this thread, I might have a hard time getting them to honor the warranty should anything fail...lol.

The Xentecs I've seen and the ones bought my brother all were shipped out of CA, but my brother likes them and has them on both his BMW's for over 2 years with no issues. I also have this kit in my fogs.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 AM
1st Gear

Thank you all for the nice information, i think I'll order from VVME, but do i need the relay harness if my car is running daytime lights?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

I have the VVME 35w slim ballast in my low beam projector. i love them. no need for the relay harness and the slim ballast are roughly the same size as DDMs slim ballast. I had a problem with my slim ballast from DDM i got water in it and i sent it back to them and they said there was nothing they can do. i paid for the shipping and got the same exact one back i will never order from DDM again. also i hear DDM moved to china.
VVME is also a china based product and takes a little while to get through customs to get shipped over. but to Finland idk how long it would be. hope that helps a little
VVME