B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rear speakers 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear speakers 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro

I understand the rear speakers are powered by a little amp. I wondered if it's possible to replace the rear speakers with aftermarket ones and have them powered off this amp?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

just make sure theyre 2 ohm speakers and you can wire them up the same

Old 11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

he can run 4ohms with no issues. thats what i did, then i got a 4ch amp and all my ***** now running from the 4 ch amp with stock head unit.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gstevens26
I understand the rear speakers are powered by a little amp. I wondered if it's possible to replace the rear speakers with aftermarket ones and have them powered off this amp?
Don't bother... been there... done that... it don't work as planned. The little amp is just that... too little. I ended up putting the stock speakers back since they are "matched" correctly to the amp and head unit. With the aftermarket speakers I got, the amp simply wasn't strong enough to drive it.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM

get the rca box.... where you connect it to the rear speaker into a amp and hook up a system.

my car scream with a stock headunit. i got 2 amp (need more) one to power my sub and another one to power my high. i'll post a picture of my setup if you wanna see how to do it.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gstevens26
It is possible, I just did this exact swap this past weekend. I re-used the soldering points from the stock speaker for the aftermarkets. Just solder the red and black wires where the stock speaker wires were and replug the connectors and you're golden. I wasn't able to get the amp to fit over the speaker magnet like on the stock one, I just flipped it around and double side taped it to the speaker, easiest way I found to keep the amp connector for the speaker.

You will have to work around how to fit the aftermarket speakers in the spaces though, I had to heavy modify my aftermarket speakers to fit in the stock housing (yeah I had to cut that off the old speaker as well).

It's not as hard as it seems, just a little time consuming.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by snsamotors
get the rca box.... where you connect it to the rear speaker into a amp and hook up a system.

my car scream with a stock headunit. i got 2 amp (need more) one to power my sub and another one to power my high. i'll post a picture of my setup if you wanna see how to do it.
Yeh please mate. Pics would be good. Think i'm gonna replace the rear speakers and wire in an after market amp using the the speaker cabling from the head unit and use one of those converters that switch the signal to low level so you can connect via rca to the amp. Then gonna use that amp to power the new rears, sub and hopefully new front components.

Any guides or pics on doing this would be greatly appreciated and would appreciate any suggestions on rear speaker replacements. Not sure whether to go for components or a coaxials...

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Don't bother... been there... done that... it don't work as planned. The little amp is just that... too little. I ended up putting the stock speakers back since they are "matched" correctly to the amp and head unit. With the aftermarket speakers I got, the amp simply wasn't strong enough to drive it.
So how do I hook up the rear stock speakers again?? There are two wires disconnected from after I diconnected the subs that were back there.