B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

rear shocks is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Default RE: rear shocks is gone?

any one have any helpfull DIY for replacing springs?

i found a couple but there mostly for coilrovers...

Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

Vogtland springs are good quality, but while you're at it, you should put in new shocks to match. Lowering springs generally will wear out whatever life is left of your old shocks much quicker, and why bother doing that job twice - trust me, b/c I've done mine and it's not something you want to have to do all over again when the shocks go bad - especially notif you're paying to have it done. (It will cost exactlythe same for any garage to replace the springs as it would springs and shocks, since you have to take the shocks outto replacethe springs anyway. Just get the springs with theride height you want the first time, or getcoilovers which gives you both springs andshocks with adjustable ride height and dampening.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: fumoazul99

Same DIY steps apply for them.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM

i really cant afford to buy the shocks now... but bogie... how long did it take you to do that job... and how many hours of labor you think i would be charged if i brought it to a mechanic?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Bogie

ORIGINAL: fumoazul99

Same DIY steps apply for them.
damn.... that seems like a shat lot of work

Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 PM

pics of the damage... do you guys think i can drive with caution with it like that? or am i going to cause further damage?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm make believe

There are a lot of people on passatworld running those springs and love them. If you need to drive, be very carfull over bumps. As for the labor, i have seen and me also pay about $250-300 for labor and then another $70-90 for an alignment. Havent seen a A4 diy, but you can take out the front setup together and then undo it and the rear isnt to hard on a 01+ passat. As for further damage, i would be worried about that shock hitting the fan due to the pressure from the spring and harsher impact.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM

thanks cincy.... damn... im scared of paying a lot of money lol... i really wana try doing it myself but... that seems like a lot of freakin work... whats the alignments purpose?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm make believe

When you change the ride height you alter the toe, camber, and caster. With these off, the car will run far from true and cause severe tire wear. If you know anyone with some mech skills, see if they will be down for the install. Offer them food/beer for the trouble. Then just drive to a tire store to have the alignment done

Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, snap, dude....I got my oem springs and shocks just sitting in my garage. I was going to save them so I'd have an extra set in case I bought another car and wanted to swap them out. But seriously, they're just in my way right now, so I'll let you take them all (front and rear springs and shocks) for $100. They weren't in need of replacement, I just wanted my car lowered. I'm in Ct, so anywhere in Mass isn't more than a 1-2 hr drive. Let me know.

Quick Reply: rear shocks is gone?