B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rear Piston Retracting Tool, needed or improvisable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default Rear Piston Retracting Tool, needed or improvisable?

Hey guys,

So I'll be doing my brakes as soon as my parts arrive and I was just wondering if I can improvise a tool or if the real tool is really needed? Do any of you have success stories of how you improvised it?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

I haven't done it on an A4, so take my post with a grain of salt. But I was able to retract the piston on my RX7 with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

The general consensus seems to be that if your calliper is already pretty far in (pads weren't that worn) then you can use needle nose pliers to get it to turn. But if it has a long way to go that the tool will be needed.

Anyone else have some experience to share?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

Last time i did mine was in a 240sx and we just got a clamp a piece of steel and a hammer

Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

Well from what i know you have 3 options.

Using needle nose pliers - All you need to do is open the pliers up and line them up with the gaps and just push and turn. Might want to use a rag or something so you dont damage to much

Rent- You can go to like autozone and they will let you rent the tools for full price. All you need is to keep the receipt and bring it back within I think 3 days. Ask them about it.

Buy - Or you can just buy the tool. I've seen some DIY and they used a "cube" tool that attach to a socket rachet. I bought one myself and it was way to small it didnt even reach the gaps of the piston. Just my experiance. Good luck

Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator

I say just rent the tool. It's $50 or somethin but you get all your $ back when you return it, and it'll make your life a lot easier. They also sell a tool for like $8 that you use with a ratchet, looks like a cube with some **** stickin out of the sides. Stay away from that thing its a piece of ****.

If you absolutely don't want to pay for the good retractor tool, you could try the needle nose pliers thing, or i've also heard of guys using C-clamps and just going very slow, but you stand a pretty good chance of blowing the seals on the calipers that way.

The retractor tool is worth the money i promise!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
5th Gear

do they have autozone in Canada though? if there's a way to get the tool for free, i'd go for it. i've personally tried the needle nose pliers method. it works but it takes forever. you'll be very thankful with the proper tool

Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hiwords
do they have autozone in Canada though?
never thought of that lol

Old 10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

There are no autozones around here but I'm sure I could find another store that would rent me the tool. I'm gonna give it a go with the pliers and if it seems too hard I'll just drive to a store with my buddy to rent the tool.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Yes thanks for clearing it up for my CCA4 I left the part out about you getting all your money back.

Quick Reply: Rear Piston Retracting Tool, needed or improvisable?