B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rear diff(I think) grinding questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear diff(I think) grinding questions

Hey everyone... New to the scene but not definitely not new to net

Recently purchased my first Audi and let me tell you, these are no walk in the park lol but for actual drive quality... Nothing comes close.

So, this past weekend I ended up getting some extra time so I decided to tackle the RR wheel bearing, which I thought was making the noise. Turns out it wasn't. I took all of the necessary symptoms into consideration but still no change in the grinding/humming/almost a vibration in a way(that becomes silent when taking sharp right turns or jerking the wheel to the right)from the back of my Audi A4 quattro 2.8 b5 base. The wheel bearing was time for a change anyways and took care of some of the sound but was muffling others. Sometime this week I will try add/change the rear diff gear oil but I am still skeptical as to if this is going to fix my problem. Also I got under the rear end diff and did not see any signs of leaking, however I did not check for any play(movement) on either of the axles. I think I will check this tomorrow

Do you think, since the noise does "completely" stop when taking sharp right turns and/or jerking the wheel to the right that this could be a bad bearing(in the diff where the axle comes out)?

A little help on maybe the next step of diagnosis on this would be much appreciated

Oh yeah forgot to add... This car is bringing quite a few codes up on diagnostic test from a parts store but none that would cause this type of problem. ... If you need any more info just let me know

Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

bump bump

Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

No insight or nothing.... Wow... Going to Audizine _____(blank) this forum