B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Guru
Default rear brake upgrade

ok, this project isn't that big of a rush, and i have searched, asked and looked on many sites for parts..... but here is my question

i am doing the a8/tt carriers upgrade next weekend.... and down the road i wanna upgrade my rears as well..... s4 rear kits are like a grand, why? but you can get aftermarket performance rotors for like 50 bucks....... question is how much bigger if any and what else would i need like with the front?

thanks in advance

and if it is just getting rotors i will do that next weekend too

Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Default RE: rear brake upgrade

You can do an A8/TT rear upgrade as well. I'm not sure what size the rear rotors are on the A4, but I know that the A8 uses a 10.6" kit that is considered to be an upgrade. Here's an all-in-one DIY procedure for them both:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml

Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Guru

ok, i did the same searching but more actuall reading...... and the ecs kit has everything..... but here is my question then..... will just getting zimmermans(245x10 v stock232(?)x9) and s4's(265x20) be that much of difference...... where do i get the carriers to make the new rotors fit?

and i guess i could buy new dust guards or bend/trim the metal to make the larger heightfit?

i know there is at least on person out there wondering the same thing or already done it

and the threads i read just debated it and never really answered it and were like 4 yrs old

Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Guru

thanks for the quick reply upstate...but i don't want to get into cutting and stuff as i have no means to do so and i can't test fit and then take it some where to have them cut it then take it back and i am not really looking to spend that kind of jack...... i would assume the a8 stuff from dealer will be pricey..... and i know the s4 stuff will

i might as well just get the 265X20 s4 kit for say 965 cause i bet they will turn out to be about the same........... and it would bolt right up

my question is and i am not trying to go "cheap" by anymeans just less $'s

i have found :
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1616269.html
these and just wonder where to get the carriers unless the factory ones will work and rear dust guard or do i need to trim/bend?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

To be honest, in my opinion a rear upgrade like the S4 or A8 is unnecessary, as the rear brakes do so little of the actual braking to stop the car. I would be willing to bet that for street-driven cars like 99% of ours (The Russian doesn't count lol), simply upgrading the fronts will be more than sufficient. Even for those who occasionally track their cars on the weekends, OEM rears, maybe with upgraded ceramic pads, would be fine. For an S4 with, say, stage 3 upgrades, the potential for high speed is much greater, and a car like that on the track would probably be able to justify the rear upgrade. My opinion overall would be that if your rear brakes don't need replacment anyhow, just leave them alone. When you do need to replace them (or if you just want to), go with OEM sized aftermarket rotors and a good set of aftermarket pads and you'll have more than enough of an upgrade for the work that the rears do.

As for the Zimmermann rotors you linked just above, since they're a larger diameter, the stock A4 carriers won't likely allow the calipers to clear the extra disc radius, so you'd need the carriers too. Add up the costs for all that stuff, and factor in the low percentage of the braking work done by the rear brakes, and it's going to be hard to justify the cost.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Guru

i was just doing it..... cause i think it would look very nice to have the s wheels more filled up in the rear like in the front....... eventually i am going bt and this will become and track car...... only....... as an s will be my dd and a tt will be my weekend car

andi just figured for say less than 50 for rotors if i could get carriers that didn't need moded...... say for another 50 at most then why not since i just dumped 2 grand or so into parts for this next weekends diy day in my garage...... i have like 4 projects i am going to be doing.... some maintenance some fun..... figured why not add another

but you are right about not getting alot of use..... i already new that part

mainly looks like stated and future stopping