B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Rattle after clutch/lwfw installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:09 AM
2nd Gear
Default Rattle after clutch/lwfw installed

is it the "chatter" i keep reading about when I use the infamous search button? as I tighten everything to specific torques. everything when into place properly.
what happens, is when its neutral and rev a lil or in a low rpm 2500-3500, and i go full WOT, i hear say like a rattle which is kinda hard to explain what it sounds like, my father and a few freinds say its flywheel chatter since i went with a lwfw. I am asking some fellow audi owners who have done this befor have experienced the same thing as this is my first clutch/lwfw install, took me a nice 18 hours to do lol
thank you
Sean

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Default RE: Rattle after clutch/lwfw installed

Running a SB Stage 3, with an Unorthodox LWFW here with my PES G2 2.8.

Definitely have the same sort of chatter with mine. Sounds likea dry racing clutch pack on an early 1990'sDucati SS. Get more noise in the cabin also since have the full JHM kit on the linkage (incredible improvement in the shifting is well worth it). Spoke with my mechanic, and was ensured that it is to be expected withthe setup. All parts are new; pressure plate, disc, pilot bushing, throwout bearing. All properly torqued, etc.

Clutch sticks great, and feathers well; only gets a bit touchy after a few hard runs and settles shortly thereafter. Did seem to quiet down someafter a short "break-in" period, or perhaps I am just tuning it out.

Other thoughts out there?

Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rattle after clutch/lwfw installed

I have the Stage 3 SB clutch and SB single mass steel flywheel. I get the same chatter at around 2k-3k, it depends on the load on the clutch. Single mass will create this chatter, the OEM dual mass dampens the chatter. Its pretty much normal to get the chatter for a single mass light weight flywheel, I've kinda got used to it already and its been installed in my car for about 1000 miles already. Just shift a gear down and run a higher rpm instead of trying to cruise. Once you tap that gas at 2-3 k you'll get that infamous chatter. Mine hasn't quieted down at all even after the recommended 750 mile break in period.