B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

radio pop..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Red face radio pop..

so i have installed myy alpine 9884 and everytime i turn the volume down to zero all the speakers make a popping noise.. also happens when i first turn the car on an the deck first turns on and also when i change songs when listening to a cd it pops.. ect.. basically if u push anything.. haha.. i would like this to stop.. it obviously has to do with the bose amp.. is there anyway to bypass the stock amp and still have the stereo work? right now the harness im using is the metra 70-1787 for the aftermarket HU.. help please!
posted in electronics but nooone wants to help me outbefore my radio explodes..

Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

If you bypass the stock amp, your rear speakers will not work. They're designed to work with the OEM amplifier and the output of the head unit to the rear of the car is a line-level signal. I don't believe you can just substitute a different, aftermarket amp either due to the Bose system's unique speaker impedances. Personally, I'd advise you to do what I did and deep-six the whole system, go fully aftermarket, and just run new (larger) wires. You can install everything in less than a day (including a new amp and sub) and you'll love it. It doesn't have to cost a fortune either - I have an in-dash DVD headunit with touchscreen, XM, and iPod integration, all new aftermarket speakers all around (with new wiring), a sub amp, a 10" sub, and a self-built enclosure in the trunk with an amp rack all upholstered in black leather, and I have less than a grand invested (everything was purchased brand-new). Believe me, it blows away stock

Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

+1. In order to bypass the stock amp, you'd have to rewire most everything anyway. I have a really nice JVC HU wired into the stock speaker set up at the moment, and while its not terrible, its not great either. I get popping and feedback when i turn the volume up too loud, or when the particular song i'm listening too has a certain frequency of lows in it. (haven't quite figured out exactly which yet to turn it down on the EQ).

I can't imagine any of the popping having to do with your head unit or wiring harness, it just sounds like feedback....you could try upgrading the speakers, but correct me if i'm wrong guys that would require a re-wire anyway right?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 PM

to me it sounds like a ground issue..but i have tryed everything.. it only happends when i turn the radio all the way down to 0, or change to the next song/radio station.. just cant figure it out.. i have the remote turn on wires connected(the blue with white stripe).. when they are connected it pops.. but also when connected thats the only time the speakers play music too.. anyway to not use that wire? mabe substitute? dunno.. just has everyone i ask baffeled..

Old 11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Well the remote wire tells the amp that you turned on the HU, so no remote wire=no amp=no music... no way that i know of to get around that one. I remember having this same problem with an old car of mine, just can't remember which one or what i did to fix it.... lemme think about it lol

Old 11-09-2008, 06:41 PM

well i got a couple diffrent wireing harnesses.. one is an american industrys or something. part number vwh-1004 or 1000 same part..and on the little color legend that tells u what is what.. it says dont cconnect the blue wires at all because it could cause damage..ex:i connect and speakers pop.. iot says cap the ends and dont use.. but if that wire isnt connected.. then there is no music.. makes no sense.. i have searched and searched all around the internet/forums for answers and no results.. i cant be the only one out here haveing this prob.. the other harness i have is the metra 70-1787 an thats the one im currenly using but it has the same wires with no warning.. someone out there has to have some kind of solution..

Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator

well i've done tons of aftermarket stereos, and i've done several w/o a remote wire. in most cases, the HU has plenty of juice to run the speakers and the remote wire/amp is not necessary. In other cases, you might want to run the door/deck speakers/sub thru an amp, in which case the remote is necessary. The audi is the first stock set up i've ever come across with a stock amp (i'm used to workin on beaters lol)

The only other solution i can think of, and that i mentioned earlier, is bypassing the stock amp(s) by running new speaker wire straight from the HU to the speakers. But in my car the stock speakers have their own amps stuck on the back of them, so you'd have to get around those some how. However, if you're gonna go to the trouble of doin that, you might as well take a page from upstate's notebook and rewire the whole damn thing

Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 AM

so how would i go about wiring it w/o the remote(blue/white one)?im wondering if that would do the trick.. because with that one hooked up it makes the stock red wire so hot it has melted the housing of it.. the red covering.. the wire is still intact just was melted the red houseing.. and it doesnt get hot immeditly guessing its over time with use with the remote wire hooked up.. so without the remote hooked up, in theory the red wire wont get hella hot and there wont be the pop noise from the speakers/amp.. the good news.. i get my jhm ss in the next couple days...just waiting on the ups man..

Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM

no more help?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

you could run 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire straight from the HU to aftermarket rear speakers, but i'm not sure that's worth all the hassle?

Quick Reply: radio pop..