B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Radiator coolant leaking all over, possible cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Well guys, I took off the whole entire front end today. Problem where the coolant drips is right above the oil pan:

Last edited by MirzaRamovicPNW; 09-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Well, in this case, I think that the water pump went kaput...best thing to do, is to, go along with a fresh new gasket and a new water pump. As said before, all of the factory hoses & piping look good, no rips or tears are present, but just to be safe, I think replacing all of the hoses/piping would be another thing to do..I also heard that if the water pump is to go bad, then It could seize up the engine, which would result in having to replace the whole timing belt as well..what do you guys think?

Last edited by MirzaRamovicPNW; 09-01-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM

I see the coolant leak in picture 2, but the other two are pictures of the snub, not the water pump.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
I see the coolant leak in picture 2, but the other two are pictures of the snub, not the water pump.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll be sure to take a pic or two of the water pump itself later on in the day. Do you think that the coolant leak in pic 2 could be coming from the water pump itself, the snub, or the water pump gasket? I do apologize for all the "n00b" questions I just asked you, it's my first time working on a Audi; I'm not new to cars, but I am new to the whole Audi car scene.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM

looks like its coming from above the alternator because you can see drips on the pulley. The snub has nothing to do with coolant in any way shape or form, its just a chunk of metal preventing the engine from rocking forward. The water pump is more to the right but it could be flinging coolant. Wipe all the coolant you see off and wait until you see new coolant. Your coolant looks green also.............................

Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

To me it looks like it's more on the passenger side of the motor...which is where the thermostat is. It doesn't matter, either way you're headed for a timing belt job. If you've done one recently, maybe you buy a new stat and water pump and dive in there. But unless you've got a bad hose we can't see, it sure looks like it's dripping down the front of the motor, and the coolant spots there are the stat on the pass side and the water pump on the driver's side.

Originally Posted by MirzaRamovicPNW
I also heard that if the water pump is to go bad, then It could seize up the engine, which would result in having to replace the whole timing belt as well..what do you guys think?
Absolutely.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
Your coolant looks green also.............................
What he said. Audi G 12 coolant is pink. It's not a huge deal, but mixing coolants is a big deal.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
What he said. Audi G12 coolant is pink. It's not a huge deal, but mixing coolants is a big deal.
Mixing it isn't a huge deal. Green Ethylene Glycol (Prestone) can go in G12, but it will reduce it's life expectancy to about 2 years. G12 is deigned to last 5-7 years (Lifetime... )

But yes, my best guess would also be a water pump leak, either out of the bearing or the gasket. Either way, get a new pump and TB if that's where the leak is. Remove the covers and have a look.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM

It's not the life expectancy you worry about when mixing. It's the fact it turns the coolant into a peanut butter sludge mixture.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm on for a timing belt change

Quick Reply: Radiator coolant leaking all over, possible cause?