B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Racetec 4 Point Brace Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear
Default B5 Racetec 4 Point Brace Feeler

In the past I have received a lot of positive comments on my 4 point strut brace and have even been asked if I wanted to sell it, more than once. Since then I have been looking into ways to have this bar duplicated and I finally found a fabricator willing to do it. The bar is made from mechanical seamless tubing so it is very strong but still light weight, (about 6 lbs) If this had been made out of regular scheduled 40 tubing material it would probably weigh about 40 lbs.

The Racetec bar has been discontinued for a number of years now but it was one of the best upgrades to my suspension besides my transmission stabilizer as it not only tightened up the front end considerably and made the car more responsive, it also got rid of some dash creeks that I had as well.

The bar will sell for $300 which will include shipping and paypal fees. When the bar was first produced it retailed for $399 plus shipping and and tax if applicable so this is a considerable discount for an already proven great piece.

Let me know if you are interested as production will start in 30 days. We will start with the first 10 people but if there is enough interest shown, that number can be increased. If you have any questions please post them here or email me and I will respond asap. Here are a few pictures.

Thanks, Fred

fred92det@aol.com

Installed with factory battery:

Name:  Audiengine-brace014.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  Audiengine-brace011.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  79.7 KB

The Bar:

Name:  underhoodbling038.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  70.2 KB

The bar installed with Optima battery & modification for distribution block:

Name:  Racetec001.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  Racetec003.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  Racetec004.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  61.6 KB

This list will be updated for the next 30 days until all spots are filled but if needed more can be added.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Last edited by fred2ka4; 09-19-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear

I saw your post on AZ but I feel $325 is a bit high. Dunno maybe I'm being a cheap skate. Lol. I'll think about it for sure, although I don't know if its worth the price over my stock S.B.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Technically the bar cost is less than $300. Shipping and paypal is something you can't get around as the paypal fee alone is $10 and since the box is kind of large shipping is about $20-25 via USPS online but that price can vary either way when I take the package into the post office for actual weight and shipping calculation.

If I can get enough orders that price can probably drop as it is directly effected by the number of orders received.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
I saw your post on AZ but I feel $325 is a bit high. Dunno maybe I'm being a cheap skate. Lol. I'll think about it for sure, although I don't know if its worth the price over my stock S.B.
The real one sold for $400. There is plenty of metal bar and welding done to make a 4 point brace like that so thats why the price is what it is. Only way it could be cheaper is if it was less points or just a single bar, but those dont make the car any stiffer and are just for looks.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
Only way it could be cheaper is if it was less points or just a single bar, but those dont make the car any stiffer and are just for looks.
The only other way it could be cheaper is if we used regular steel tubing but the bar would then weigh about 40lbs instead of the current 6-7 lbs.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
The majority of the cost is in the material and labor which are aspects that are out of my control but I did speak to the welder today and he gave me a little good news. He said he would lower the labor a little since it will be easier once the jig is complete so the best price I was able to get is $300 shipped for anyone who is interested.

If the orders to not materialize then there will be no GB as he said it would not be worth his time to do a bar here and there. I have one and I am very happy with it and I was only responding to questions I get asked every time I post a picture of my engine bay.

I have organized group buys before and believe me when I tell you it is no walk in the park when it comes to collecting money from people who have committed and then for some reason do not have the money and hold up an entire group buy that was based on a minimum number.

I don't mind doing it, but I can do without the headache so if it does not happen then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Can you make them for a B6? I would be all over this.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Flip
Possible, I did bring that up when I talked to fred. He said there are a few stock B6's local to him.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Flip
This is the same response I got for the B5 but yet after everything was said and done not one person has stepped up after I got a price, and I might add that it was over $100 less than when it had originally released.

Copying a bar is one thing but fabricating a new bar for the B6 chassis is another thing all together and although I would like to do this for you, I cannot justify the R&D to produce this bar for one person. I would need an order of at least 20 people so that it would be worth the effort on my part and the fabricators to get this started.

I am having a hard time getting people to buy a bar that already exists much less one that has not been made yet, so at this point we'll just have to wait and see.