B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

R&R cv boot HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
5th Gear
Default R&R cv boot HELP!!

I'm trying to replace my outer CV boots, and on my car (B5 S4) there are way too many shields and pipes in the way of the inner flange bolts, so i'm trying to do it with the axles on the car. i've gotten the upper control arms off and the axle separated from the hub, but i can't get the cv joint off the axle. i've tried rethreading the center bolt back in (the first bolt removed with the wheels still on the ground) to pop the joint off but it feels like i'm just ruining the threads. i need some suggestions on how to get it off.

i'm using the method below from audiworld:
"You don't even need to remove the half-shaft if it is the outer boot. Once you get the CV joint seperated from the wheel bearing housing, stick the bolt back through the CV joint and just keep tightening it down. It'll pull the joint right off the shaft. In fact, the "special" audi tool does, the same thing, except it has a dimple on the bolt to center it on the driveshaft. If you look at the end of the driveshaft, there is a recession in it for that dimple. But that special tool is not necessary. I've done tons of joints with this method"

pulled from this write-up:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml

Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BFlan2001
I'm trying to replace my outer CV boots, and on my car (B5 S4) there are way too many shields and pipes in the way of the inner flange bolts, so i'm trying to do it with the axles on the car. i've gotten the upper control arms off and the axle separated from the hub, but i can't get the cv joint off the axle. i've tried rethreading the center bolt back in (the first bolt removed with the wheels still on the ground) to pop the joint off but it feels like i'm just ruining the threads. i need some suggestions on how to get it off.

i'm using the method below from audiworld:
"You don't even need to remove the half-shaft if it is the outer boot. Once you get the CV joint seperated from the wheel bearing housing, stick the bolt back through the CV joint and just keep tightening it down. It'll pull the joint right off the shaft. In fact, the "special" audi tool does, the same thing, except it has a dimple on the bolt to center it on the driveshaft. If you look at the end of the driveshaft, there is a recession in it for that dimple. But that special tool is not necessary. I've done tons of joints with this method"

pulled from this write-up:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml
that method worked fine for me.
put the bolt in and give it hell. You arent going to strip the threads. the force required is nothing compared to how tight you have to torque that bitch when you are tightening it back on with your wheels on the ground

Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
5th Gear

broncoman, can i ask what you used to tighten that bolt? i just cranked until it stopped, and i don't think the joint moved 1mm. i can't get a straight shot at it because of my brake rotor so a socket wrench isn't working for me, all i can get on it is a crescent/open end wrench, and so far it's not budging. i tried a puller also with no luck.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BFlan2001
broncoman, can i ask what you used to tighten that bolt? i just cranked until it stopped, and i don't think the joint moved 1mm. i can't get a straight shot at it because of my brake rotor so a socket wrench isn't working for me, all i can get on it is a crescent/open end wrench, and so far it's not budging. i tried a puller also with no luck.
If I remember correctly I just used a normal socket wrench.
I think I just turned the steering wheel one way or the other and that freed up enough room to work on it. I did the passenger side, maybe it has more room than the driver side?
you might have to take off your caliper and the rotor to get at it too, i cant remember its been a while...