B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Quick opinion on short shift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear
Default Quick opinion on short shift kit.

Alrighty, I did my research and scraped up answers to almost all of my questions about the eBay short shift kits. The eBay kits are highly revered, I couldn't find a single negative review and seems the only potential snag involved is if the reverse is push down, which lucky me, mine is, but I'll deal.

The question I couldn't find an answer to was if any particular kit was better than another. When I searched eBay for the kits, I found several options. Some that were only 40 bucks plus shipping for the kit, and others that were between 80 and 400. Being the poor college student I am, the cheaper the better, and this kit is the one I have my eye on. If I could get a few opinions on if this is a good/safe deal or not, I'd highly appreciate it. If this looks cheap, I'm open to being pointed in the direction of a higher quality kit, so long as the price stays under 100 bucks if possible.

Much thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear

that looks exactly like the one that came in my car when i got it. it was ok from what i remember. the problem is that plastic cup that the spherical part sits in gets worn out. i replaced it with the JHM solid shifter kit and the difference is night and day. even if you are poor, i would save my pennies for the JHM shifter. its so crisp and nice to drive. you never miss a gear. probably the most enjoyable $250 i ever spent on my car.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Legal Moderator

not gonna lie ive been loking into a short shifter as well. with this unit, as well as anything, you get what you pay for. period. I would get a jhm shifter. yah it costs more, but you get more. mostly, you get a company behind you. china doesnt care if their shifters are ****. jhm does. i know your a poor college student, i am too, that doesnt mean you can cut corners. your car desrves better. dont mean to preach, do what you want, just trying to aim you in the right direction. i cut corners with the last car and regret it.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 AM
3rd Gear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...205|240%3A1318

That is probably my favorite mod I have done to my car. It's just a copy of the expensive B&M short shifter so you can use their install instructions which isn't on the internet any more that I know of but I can send you it. I've had it on for a pretty long while now and I'd recommend it to anyone. The three holes are three different throw settings and it can be used on more than just the B5 A4 so not all of the parts are used. Get it!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
i know your a poor college student, i am too, that doesnt mean you can cut corners. your car desrves better.
I can appreciate that advice. Thanks The only reason I would consider cutting the corner with it other than price is the high miles I have. If the shifter were to wear out after I hit 200k, 50 bucks for 50k miles of short-shifting pleasure seems reasonable to me. Definitely will keep the jhm in mind for my new Audi when this B5 dies and I get (hopefully) a B7 S4.

Originally Posted by aledelic42
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Short...205|240%3A1318

That is probably my favorite mod I have done to my car. It's just a copy of the expensive B&M short shifter so you can use their install instructions which isn't on the internet any more that I know of but I can send you it. I've had it on for a pretty long while now and I'd recommend it to anyone. The three holes are three different throw settings and it can be used on more than just the B5 A4 so not all of the parts are used. Get it!
Thank you. Very very much for pointing me to this. Even cheaper than the other one I was looking at (unless people start outbidding me...) and adaptable. I think I'll take your advice and get it. I'll let you know when I get it and I'll hit you up for those install instructions

Old 06-16-2009, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

all those $40 ebay short shifters are ok. they are going to fall apart in a week, mine lasted for years- but thats not the problem. they dont replace the whole shifter reciever, the crappy plastic cup that holds that ball by two rubber bands. the JHM shifter replaces the entire thing with a massive bulletproof bushing. the shifter doesnt even have a mm of side to side play.

you can replace the center section all you want, but if you dont touch the rest of the shifter you wont improve anything. heres a pic of any ebay shifter installed in the stock shifter reciever they are all pretty much the same.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...20SALE/024.jpg

and heres the JHM solid shifter
http://www.034motorsport.com/images/...owShifter2.jpg

and no i dont work for JHM lol its just the best quality part ive ever seen and Jason is one of the nicest people ive talked to.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

where's a good place to get a JHM? On the net or near the Ontario/NY border that is....

NM... THAT WAS JUST LAZY.... I FOUND IT!!!

Last edited by 410ThirtyValve; 06-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
all those $40 ebay short shifters are ok. they are going to fall apart in a week, mine lasted for years- but thats not the problem. they dont replace the whole shifter reciever, the crappy plastic cup that holds that ball by two rubber bands. the JHM shifter replaces the entire thing with a massive bulletproof bushing. the shifter doesnt even have a mm of side to side play.

you can replace the center section all you want, but if you dont touch the rest of the shifter you wont improve anything. heres a pic of any ebay shifter installed in the stock shifter reciever they are all pretty much the same.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...20SALE/024.jpg

and heres the JHM solid shifter
http://www.034motorsport.com/images/...owShifter2.jpg

and no i dont work for JHM lol its just the best quality part ive ever seen and Jason is one of the nicest people ive talked to.
Haha, you may as well work for JHM, you've definitely got me sold on it. Just not for my B5. That receiver looks beastly and definitely high quality, but as I said, if this B5 doesn't last very far past 200k, that'd be 250 bucks I'd have to part with after barely 50k miles of use.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

yea man, i bought the cheap ebay short shifter just for the simple fact that anything was an improvement over the stock top linkage, and its much better.. no problems in almost a year of use, and i would agree.. if i was in my hopeful to be B6 S4, id go with a JHM.. but this works just fine and isnt sloppy.. youll enjoy it

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM

The shifter seems pretty good for me, but then again I'm coming from a 6-speed maxima, which is like a Mac Truck. Then again, the ricer who had it before me couldve cut the stalk lol, making it seem shorter, I wouldn't put it past him lol.

Quick Reply: Quick opinion on short shift kit.