B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions on Rear Deck Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Questions on Rear Deck Speakers

My left speaker in the rear deck is failing and sounds like crap. My question is 1. What size are the speakers back there, 6.5"s?

2. Did anyone replace theirs yet? If so which ones did you use. Since one broke now im one to just redo the whole system in the car but that will cost me. So which speaker did you get and did it sound close to stock or better?

3. How are the ones that are in there hooked up? Do i need to cut the wires and crimp on spade connectors, or are there already spade connectors there?

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM

For mine I bought Infinity Reference 6022si 6.5" speakers, for $60 for both (Crutchfield). They're shallow to allow more usable trunk space, but sound great. Pretty sure they have been discontinued though... maybe you could still find some on Ebay or something.

Almost anything with a decent name brand will sound better than stock (unless you have Bose, I did not, and I don't know how good the stock Bose speakers are).

On the driver-side rear speaker there should be an amplifier attached (powers both rear speakers). I used a zip-tie to reattach the amplifier to the new speaker. Now I run a separate 4-channel amplifier for all my speakers so I don't use the stock rear speaker amp any more.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Ok, answers it enough for me, im gonna buy 2 6.5;s once i decide which ones i want, and when i take it apart i will see if i have to cut wires and crimp on spade connectors and crap but thats all easy.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Lol i just forgot, and i know this happend on my other car with bose system and a new headunit. But can anyone answer will that amp power the aftermarket ones? Because i know bose uses stupid ohm and voltage systems and other crap but that might just be from the amp to the headunit etc.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Want my rear speakers, They are Bose and I have already replaced mine with Kicker 6.5 inch Subs........BTW the rear deck speakers in the A4 are subwoofers which are amplified as stated with it's own small amp.

If so message me

Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Before you go buy new speakers, read this post. I had the same issue when I first bought my A4 B5 in October 2009. Did this fix and it has been sounding like factory new for over two years. This applies to the speakers in the rear deck.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...speaker-94428/

Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
For mine I bought Infinity Reference 6022si 6.5" speakers, for $60 for both (Crutchfield). They're shallow to allow more usable trunk space, but sound great. Pretty sure they have been discontinued though... maybe you could still find some on Ebay or something.

Almost anything with a decent name brand will sound better than stock (unless you have Bose, I did not, and I don't know how good the stock Bose speakers are).

On the driver-side rear speaker there should be an amplifier attached (powers both rear speakers). I used a zip-tie to reattach the amplifier to the new speaker. Now I run a separate 4-channel amplifier for all my speakers so I don't use the stock rear speaker amp any more.

I've always wondered about that amp. They said it was a built-in amp, so I didnt know I could isolate the built-in amp from the OEM speaker.

How did it sound like when you reused the amp? I wanna replace my rear speakers without running new wires and getting new amp to power them. In my opinion, I think the non-bose speakers do quite well.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by vgo
I've always wondered about that amp. They said it was a built-in amp, so I didnt know I could isolate the built-in amp from the OEM speaker.

How did it sound like when you reused the amp? I wanna replace my rear speakers without running new wires and getting new amp to power them. In my opinion, I think the non-bose speakers do quite well.
It sounded decent enough if I remember correctly. It's been a while since the stock amp was in my car, but compared to the 4-channel amp powering which has been powering my speakers for the last year or so it wasn't too bad.