B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions- Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear
Default Questions- Advice needed...

I have two questions, one mechanical and one cosmetic.

Mechanical question first: I've just spotted a leak in my rear differential, I'm guessing it's the output shaft on the driver's side. Is this a common problem? I haven't read about it here on the forums, at least not that I can remember. Anyone every had to change one of these? It looks fairly easy to pull the diff, but from there I have no clue. Help would be appreciated.

Second question: I've been thinking about putting a permanent satellite antenna on the roof of my car and I'd like to know what eveyone thinks is the best looking roof antenna for the B5. I'm thinking I want something on the smallish side, those hugh ones with the shark fin don't appeal to me much. It wouldn't have to be an Audi part as I could probably make just about anything work. Again, thanks for any input you can give.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Questions- Advice needed...

The output shaft seals do commonly leak, but replacing them really isn't needed un-less the leak is hitting the floor. It more cost efficient to just top off the diff every year or so. If you want to replace the seal, you have to jack up the car, place a jack under the diff and take out the bolts for the center diff and lower it down about a foot to get the side drive shaft seals out. The front and back seals are easy, and you don't have to lower down the diff, the side ones kinda suck though.

I don't have an opinion for the satellite radio.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Questions- Advice needed...

thanks auditech79, I figured you might have and answer for me.

The drops are hitting the garage floor, had it parked in the driveway today for about 2 hours and I had wet spot about 4 inches in diamiter, so I think that's pretty bad. Are there limited slip differentials available for the b5? I was thinking if I decided to take on this job I might do some upgrades while I was there, probably replace both seals too. Opinions?

Thanks again Auditech!