B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions about FMICs and Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Questions about FMICs and Turbos

My end goal for my 1.8TQMS is the higher end of 300hp range like 350-380hp so after I get lowered I want to run a GT71r, but that's far into the future. For now im gonna start buying supporting mods. So one of the things on my list is an intercooler, right now im looking at a RaceTecEngineer Intercooler (SPP/RaceTecEngineering Front Mount Intercooler B5 | SUPREMEPOWER™)
It says that it fits under the stock a4 bumper with minimal trimming and that's what im aiming for, but my question would be, would it be big enough to support the boost from the GT71r? It also says i need to specify if my car is drive by wire or drive by cable, I have a 2001 b5 with an AWM engine code, i looked at it myself and it looked like DBW but i wasnt sure. aand one last thing, where can I get an ECU for a GT71r? thanks!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Legal Moderator

that intercooler is too expensive. if you want a good intercooler for a 2871r i can hook you up with a link from a guy on audizine who is having an intercooler made specifically for a 2871r range of turbo and made by treadstone. i personally have a treadstone tr11 intercooler, but the thing is pretty big and a lot of cuttin was needed. the one in his groupbuy will fit much nicer than mine with a 3" core. they are great intercoolers and fairly inexpensive. as for the tubing, just get an ebay kit for cheap. you do have a dbw throttle body, and for tuning id consider maestro if i were you. otherwise probably unitronic or custom if you dont plan on going bigger

Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

I dont plan on buying an intercooler anytime soon though, but when I get around to it do you know of any intercoolers that'll fit under the stock bumper w/o loosing the fogs? before the intercooler i want to get a DV, Intake mani, exhaust mani,Boost gauge then a high flow cat. Also do you know if there are any aftermarket throttle bodies for our car? thought I saw one but lost it lol

Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM

You can adapt a bigger throttle body of any size. No car is a direct fit, it's larger for a reason. You also don't need a new intake manifold for any reason. Maybe your shooting for the stars and need to take a step back and consider what your going for and where to start.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Actual WIZARD

Just run no bumper, and a big fat core. Worked fine for me

Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

A couple things here. Do you want 350chp or 350awhp?
Also do you want to use an elim kit or a full frame turbo? That will change a lot of the hardware you get.

The only things that would really make sense to buy now is the diverter valve unless you want to sell your other stuff down the road.

Buying a made to fit manifold is about $800 and you won't see enough gains with a 2871r size turbo to make it worth it. But if you have access and or capabilities to expand your stock mani then I would definitely do it, you'll see some increases on that turbo.

Btw for anyone reading this ractec intercoolers really aren't that good and way overpriced. I'm a huge treadstone fan an the custom intercooler Redline was talking about is the only thing that's gonna fit nicely behind an a4 bumper.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

awhp. and an elim kit, thats where it just bolts in right? I've read around and cant find a straight answer for the life of me. and I dont need any aftermarket intake/exhaust manifolds? just wanted to be sure that there's enough airflow. Another thing, i have an xspower exhaust, which IIRC is 2.75 inches, with a stock cat, if i got a HFC would that provide sufficient airflow?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear

350-380 awhp isnt possible on a 2871r, especially an elim unless you're running nitrous so you might wanna either reconsider your goal or jump up to a full frame t3 size turbo.

But yes an elim kit bolts right into stock locatioin.

I though xspower exhausts were more like 2.25? someone correct me in I'm wrong there. But you will definitely want a HFC, and you'll need an aftermarket exhaust mani either way (elim or full frame) if you wann hit big hp numbers

Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by meloman
350-380 awhp isnt possible on a 2871r
i hope to prove you wrong on this in a few months. im shooting for 400awhp on a 2871r, although ill be adding quite a few goodies. 2 liter, t3 setup, e85, cams, good dyno tune. only time will tell but i think its very doable

but to op, if you wanna run an elim and want 350awhp or more, youll need an elim gt30. the eliminator housings just dont flow like a t25/t3. and please look into the intercooler i mentioned earlier. i believe it is your best option. cheap, it fits, and it works.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
i hope to prove you wrong on this in a few months. im shooting for 400awhp on a 2871r, although ill be adding quite a few goodies. 2 liter, t3 setup, e85, cams, good dyno tune. only time will tell but i think its very doable
I'm really interested to see how this turns out. You'll definitely be maxing out the turbo but e85 can do something amazing things, keep us updated for sure.

Quick Reply: Questions about FMICs and Turbos