B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions about buying an a4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

true, it's hard to say how much is actually "wrong" and "needs to be fixed."

I talked with 3 other import mechanics about the sound I'm hearing and the symptoms and everything, and they all came to the conclusion, independently, that it's the lifters and cams needed replacing.

On a brief follow up, I heard back from Audi today and they told me that both my cylinder heads were damaged and needed to be replaced. Said it was 5k+ fix. at least. plus, they side they found cracks in my timing belt. I have a warranty from when I bought it used, and they're going to inspect the car on Monday and see if they're foot some of the bill.

This all is starting to sound like b.s. to me. I know i have valve lifter noise, but seriously, the car drove just fine. No drop in power, handling, anything. It just has that valve tick which is super annoying and I know can't be good for the car over time. Has anyone had a replacement of cylinder heads, valve lifters, camshafts, etc with a grand total of over 5g's? It seems like I should be able to get a brand new engine for that price. Just ridiculous. After I get this fixed or resolved or whatever I end up doing, I'm done with Audi's. This is my second A4 and both have been nothing but money pits. Just ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by SVT_BRYAN
I was looking at buying the same car, the noise is a lot louder than your standard valve tick... a lot. I was all set to buy it but someone else got to it before me. *grumbles*
Yeah, I passed on getting that car Id rather have black interior