B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions about 5speed quattro system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Questions about 5speed quattro system

Ok so this is probably something of a noob question but I have a 2000 b5 2.8 5speed quattro with 140k on her. Ive only had it for about 2 months but the older couple I bought it from took very good care of it (I have every single sevice record until the birth of the car). So my question is the when in first or second gear I feel the shifter jurk when I push or let off the gas. Nothing crazy but I thought maybe it could be the first sign of a failing tranny mount or low fluids in the front or rear transaxle. I guess what I'm fishing for here is any info of failures or repairs that are common on the B5 quattro transaxles or just the entire quattro system in general? Like I said its nothing crazy and probably nothing because the car drives amazing but I hear to keep a eye out for B5 problems.

Maybe just replace all the transaxle fluids?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

What you're feeling is commonly referred to as drive train "slop" and is most often caused by one or more failing motor/trans/diff mounts. There are two motor mounts, one on either side of the engine. These are filled with fluid that will leak out and form a crust around the mount, which is a good indicator that they need to be replaced. In addition to these two, there's a third rubber mount on the front of the engine, commonly called the "snub mount." this is made of rubber that degrades over time and eventually wears away to the point where it stops working. I would start at the front of the car with the snub mount and work your way back, replacing the ones that need it. This would be a good opportunity to upgrade to aftermarket parts that will last much longer and perform better than their OEM counterparts.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Also look into the JHM shifter bushing, that will eliminnate a lot of slop that you feel from the shifter box as well. With the 5 speeds just don't go winding it out in 3rd gear (as that is the weakest) and you should be fine. If you are going to get your hands dirty might as well change the trans fluid as well.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Wow thanks guys! That was very good information and sounds about what I was suspecting. I have a record from the previous owner of replacing the pass side mount so I would imagine that others will be going bad also. Is there any other things I should look at such as the rear Differential or is that something that is pretty low maintenance?