B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Questions on A8 Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Talking Questions on A8 Brake upgrade

Ok so i've done some research on how to do this, basically what i know so far

A8 Rotors - im assuming i can buy them from any rotor company as long as they are made for the A8 12.3in size.

TT Carriers - Where can i get these the cheapest? Can someone provide links to who sells them?

Pads - Im assuming i can just buy the same sized pads as i would for my A4 correct? Or do i now need to search for pads for a TT?

I know ECS sells a package with the a8 rotors and tt carriers, but i want to see where and if i can find tt carriers maybe cheaper then ECS offers them standalone?

Reasoning for that is cause i want to choose my own rotors over going with their kit.

And if im missing anything please let me know. Also recommendations and advice are appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

You'll need 12.3" A8 rotors, TT carriers, and since you're re-using your own calipers, A4 pads. Unless you need them ASAP, I wouldn't buy the kit from ECS, its over-priced. The A8 rotors can be had on the cheap from ECS or Adam's Rotors. The cheapest source I've found for TT carriers is about $140 from MJM, but their stock info isn't always up-to-date. I got mine for $100 shipped on Craigslist (thanks Pat ). As for pads, I'm personally a fan of EBC Redstuff, but many people here prefer Hawk HPS. Either one can be had from ECS tuning.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

No i dont need them immediately. When i bought the car 2.5 months ago, the lady that had it recently had the brakes all around new rotors and pads done, even though i know i can just replace the pads to fix this issue, i want to do the a8 upgrade regardless. But they put on some awful pads with so much brake dust i literally detail the car drive like a 20 mile trip on the highway and theres already dust on the wheels.

Yeah i wasnt planning on buying the kit from ecs anyways. But i guess if i go with mjm im looking at $140 + however much the rotors and pads i get run me.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I poked around and it looks like the slotted rotors are on sale on ECS right now for $99. Pretty sure you can get blanks cheaper than that. I would cruise the classified ads here and on Audizine and see if you can find somebody parting out a TT. The carriers are usually one of the first things to go but you can try.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Did you mean your pretty sure you CANT get blanks cheaper? $99 for slotted A8 rotors sounds like a deal to me... I think i found them, the cross drilled / slotted ones from schwaben? Are they a decent brand? As i never bought rotors from them before. I mostly had experience with EBC, Brembo and R1Concepts which all work or worked great.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 01quattro
Did you mean your pretty sure you CANT get blanks cheaper? $99 for slotted A8 rotors sounds like a deal to me... I think i found them, the cross drilled / slotted ones from schwaben? Are they a decent brand? As i never bought rotors from them before. I mostly had experience with EBC, Brembo and R1Concepts which all work or worked great.
No, I meant the blanks are usually cheaper.

These are blanks, $95/pair.

These are the drilled/slotted pieces, $99/pair.

I run the slotted ones and love them, but some people maintain that blank rotors offer better stopping on the street.

Last edited by CCA4; 09-24-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Im with you, i have a pair of EBC slotted and dimpled on my pathfinder along with a set of pads that i cant remember but i know they are ceramic, but i have them for about 4 years now, i have bigger 20" rims, and its an suv that weighs 4.2K, i drive it hard and the pads still have about 45-50% left, and bite hard. Rotors have no warping either. And i have R1Concepts which is a new brand i tried but am so far happy with and akebono ceramic pads on a 2006 hyundai sonata LX.

I think i cant ask for much for $99 bucks thats a steal compared to EBC's for the A8 12.3 size.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Yeah ECS has some pretty good deals sometimes. I would piece together a kit yourself if you have time, good way to save about $100

Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Yeah thats what im planning on doing from the beginning, i dont want to buy one of those kits that ecs has or some other place. Im probably going to buy the rotors because of a deal that i dont want to pass up, then wait another week or 2, find a deal on pads, and then carriers or something.

I have time so i can piece together a good deal.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

And one last thing to make sure, i wont have any fitment issues with my stock 16" sport wheels correct?

Quick Reply: Questions on A8 Brake upgrade