B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Question of should I or should I not?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 AM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Question of should I or should I not?????

So the mechanic and i took a good peek at my entire suspension(1998 audi a4 2.8 v6 30v FWD) the other day. everything seems fine but as he noted and showed me, the upper right control arm had some "play" in it. im guessing that means its somewhat loose. he says its not a problem now but it will eventually get worse.

Now that you know that, here is the kicker....

I wanted to get coilovers for my audi this summer. would getting coilovers installed increase the wear on the control arm? the reason i ask is because i don't want to spend about $1200 on coilovers and then have to invest on control arm replacements soon after. i would rather get required components fixed first, then do all the fancy nancy ****. plus im guessing since control arms are a common problem on b5's that im not going to just be replacing 1 control arm but all of them...if u get my drift.

thanks for reading.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear

Just do it all at once. It will put a little more stress on suspension components. Are you planning on doing it yourself? If so, then I would do the arms now. If you are going to have a shop do it, then do them both at the same time. You wouldn't want them to charge you twice for the break-down of your suspension, ya know? It not really as hard as you might think, just a little intimidating. What kind of coilovers?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 AM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
What kind of coilovers?
Thats another thing im debating on. I don't want my audi slammed. looking for an 1 inch - 1.25" drop. BUT, i am looking for comfort above all else. someone recommended koni's or h&r's if i was aiming for comfort. i don't know though yet. i just feel that audis stock are way too high.

and thanks again for the advice. im going to look into getting them both done at the same time.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 AM
3rd Gear

Should just get springs then.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 AM
2nd Gear

If your CAs have play in them now, it wont be long before you get squeeking and clunking from them. And your right, if your uppers are bad, your lowers will likely follow soon if none of them have been replaced.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by NickBroderick
Should just get springs then.
if i get springs that lower my ride about 1"-1.5" inch, will that make my audi feel like a cheap honda import? i swear my sister's civic got springs in them and that **** was horrible. it was really stiff and every bump in the road would just vibrate the car so bad that ur *** would hurt. im not kidding. **** was not cool.i was aiming for comfort above all else with the 1-1.5 inch drop...im not familiar with springs also, do u recommend any for my situation.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dallas09
If your CAs have play in them now, it wont be long before you get squeeking and clunking from them. And your right, if your uppers are bad, your lowers will likely follow soon if none of them have been replaced.
perfectly normal...perfectly fine...

Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

depending on the spring u get will vary the comfort of your car. coils arent worth it if you just want a small drop and your in cali so i dont think youll need to raise your car for the snow or and adjustments. lol.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

i think you should get the s4 set up since it lowers your car about an inch?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tourbo24
i think you should get the s4 set up since it lowers your car about an inch?
can't find this setup anywhere? can you link me a set-up for a FWD 98 audi a4(sedan)? thanks

Quick Reply: Question of should I or should I not?????