B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Question on remote starters for these cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Default Question on remote starters for these cars

Buddy of mine has a 2000 Passat 30v tip (basically a twin to the A4). His GF is getting him a remote starter for Xmas. Is there anything special about installing one in these cars? We'll be doing it in my garage.

I'm not asking about basic know-how on car electronic installation - I've done plenty of that type of work. My question is whether any additional modules must be bought to allow the starter to interface with the OEM alarm system (such as on another friend's 06 4Runner - it required a $50 adapter module to interface with the security system on the truck).

Anyone on here had a remote start installed (or done one yourself) and find out whether anything needs to be purchased to make a remote starter work on an Audi/VW? The purchase of the remote starter is on hold pending any replies here. I'd rather talk to you guys than a shop so that a) I'm not badgered about having them install it for $200, or b) so that they don't try to talk me into having her buy additional parts that, while they may be helpful, aren't needed. The threads in this forum were inconclusive at best, and only one of them mentioned that an additional module MIGHT have to be purchased, but no real answer was given. Most of them centered around the dangers of not using one in a manual transmission vehicle but that was about the extent of the worth of those threads.

TIA for any input...

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 12-01-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Legal Moderator

i work at circuit city in the car audio department so i can look it up on our computer what you will need tomorrow. i am almost positive you will need a bypass module of some sort. but i will look tomorrow, tell you exactly what extra stuff you need to do and maybe even print of some sheets that would be of great help to you.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

That would be fantastic - thanks very much bro, I appreciate it. I'll pass it along to her as well. Thanks again

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear

I did it myself on a 99 a little while ago.. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248782 some guy just posted on audizine about it so im not gonna retype everything i said but ill give you the just of it and you can look at the thread.

My 99 was pretty easy, u gotta take the steering wheel of to get to the column. There are too many ignition wires so you have to use a relay for one of the wires. But other than that there arent any extra things you have to buy. The lock/unlock/arm/disarm wires are the signal wires for the door cylinder (meaning it will arm/disarm the alarm when the car is off and lock/unlock the doors when the car is on, its slick, only thing is you loose the stock light flash, try using your door cylinder to lock the car youll see what i mean, so if you want to keep the light flash you will have to wire it to the remote start and the lights must be diode isolated). The remote start will disarm and unlock the car (just as if you used a key in the door) then start it and you can used a timed, pulsed output to relock the doors after its started, or just push the lock button.

The 2001 (audizine guys car) has a weird wire that has to be pulsed at start and then held at ignition otherwise the starter will grind, im not sure if this car would have it. the12volt.com has wiring info and will explain that, a chiltons manual would be good too, i also had a bentley manual (probably the least helpful with wiring, but it was good to have it).

If you are just installing the remote start feature, you dont need any extra boxes or relays or diodes (unless you want to wire the lights up).

My car is a manual. The manual tranny remote starters are a hassle (look them up, it ruins the convinence). So what i did was I wired it to the ebrake. It just so happens that the remote starter need a grounded signal and thats what the ebrake uses so all you gotta do is splice into the ebrake wire (i just tapped it under the center console). The car will start in gear, and ive never actually tried it, my hope is that the ebrake would make the engine kill, but who knows, the idle air control will keep the car running under a little more load.

To control the windows i wired the AUX wires to the same unlock lock wires since if you hold a ground to them, they will roll the windows down or roll them up.

One final note is that some of the wiring info isnt always right. Mine claimed that a single pulse locked the car and a double unlocked it on the same wire, this wasnt true, there were two seperate wires and neither needed a double pulse.

I taped the lock/unlock wires at the central locking unit and the rpm sense at the fuel injector.

U would only need a bypass if it has an immobilizer (I heard that b5 a4's only had them in europe, not sure about passat, so redline should help you with that.) You can usually find out by wraping the remote in tinfoil since the signal cant go through that.

Let me know what other questions you have that I missed, keep me posted on how it goes too.

Last edited by Dallas09; 12-01-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Legal Moderator

ok so i checked at work and yes, you do need a bypass. what kind of remote start did you by? if it is made by directed electronics, i would get a 556uw bypass. this bypass needs an extra key to be installed into it so make sure you have both your keys. if it isnt made by dei, i have no idea if that bypass works or not but according to their page which is never wrong unlike the12volt, you will need a bypass which requires an extra key. and like what dallas said, the unlock feature does need to be double pulsed. i printed off the wire colors, but i dont have a scanner. so...
12 volt is red
starter is red/black
ignition is black
accesory is yellow/black
power lock is red/green
power unlock is red/blue (the lock/unlock are located in the door)
hazard lights are green/red
headlight is yellow/brown
that should be all the wires you need to know right away. all except lock/unlock are found in the ignition harness

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Great information - thank you very much! I'll keep it in mind as well as pass it along to his GF so the proper parts can be picked up. Thanks again to both of you for excellent information