B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Question for Lowerd B5's, bottom'in out much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Question for Lowerd B5's, bottom'in out much?

Whats up guys,

Im thinkin about doing shocks/springs and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with HnR's 2.0inch drop Springs. Ive looked at picks online and it looks great but seems like you would be bottoming out on the avarage speed bump. City driving looks like hell with the 2.0inch drop.

IF you have COILOVERS please just give me advice on my 'ride height' question. If you have your coilovers down pretty low, do u bottom out at all? Dont just blab 'do coilovers! there better'. Thanks.

Plus, i have a really steep driveway, im gonna say...a good 20-22 degree angle. If that helps at all

Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Question for Lowerd B5's, bottom'in out much?

Don't have mine lowered yet but I'm getting coilovers pretty soon. I'll probably get a panzer plate because around Columbus there are quite a few places to bottom out including the fvcking parking lot for my apartment. Every single time!!!! But if you're worried look into a panzer plate.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Im lowered on coilovers with 225/40-18 tires with about 1 finger gap between the wheel and the wheel well. I bottomed out once in brooklyn swerving around potholes and I ended up going into one trying to avoid another. I cracked my oil pan with that one. Basically I dont drive the audi in the city, and I take it very easy when going up and down speed bumps.
Other than that just drive really slow when approaching bumps. When going up a driveway or down just go at it on an angle.

funny thing is as low as my car is. When hitting bumps my wheels dont rub at all.

I have koni struts and sleeved coilovers. Forgot the brand though.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

lol well im glad to hear there is a method to not bottoming out. as far as driveways go, mine is pretty steep. im just afraid of exits and entrences to parking lots around here.

any long islanders know 112? lol.

that panzer plate sounds like a good idea audi_noob. ill look into it. ha, dont dis yourself with the name.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

Front 2.5 / Rear 2.0 lowered. I have vogtland coilovers and I keep this setup 24/7 winter/summer.

Yes I try to avoid bumps and poles. I hit oil pan probably less than 5 times last 2 years. I do hit my 3" exhaust piping tho.

I'm also pretty confortable for daily driving.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

So I googled "panzer plate" and they are sorta pricey (250.00) but cheap compared to replacing an oil pan. I know I cringe everytime I scrape. The website for the panzer plate didn't say how much they weighed though.....any ideas?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

13lbs.that wouldnt be a bad investment at all.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Wow dude, i bottom out soooooooooooooooooooooooo much its not even funny....my front is so low man wow speed bumps i literary have to go 2 MPH over then im not even joking lol my stiff shocks after i got those helped alittle bit but if i still go to fast i will still bottom out and i only got 1.6in B&G's front and rear but i guess the longer i drove with them the lower they went haha. Over a normal speed bump if my front tires were just over it, i would literary only have about 2 inch clearance from the bump its crazy lol

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I'm running FK Coilovers right now and bottoming out on tall speedbumps. I'm at 24" front at 24.5" rear. Whenever it happens, it sounds like someone is under my car with a pneumatic air cannon and launched it into my undercarriage. [:@] That only really happened 3 or 4 times before I started doing the angle trick.

There is no speedbump too tall/long/whatever that you can't just angle your car a bit sideways and make it over without hitting anything. Just don't worry about the other drivers giving you a bad glare for taking up both lanes of traffic.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 PM
4th Gear

you just have to learn how to drive it...

speed bumps go over at like a 45 degree angle, not head on
same goes for steep inclines in driveways and such

i bottomed out once on a speed bump on h&r race springs and that was one big bitch of a speed bump

i am at about 23.5" ground to fender in the front on 17" wheels, with h&r coilovers... everything is trickier

the only thing i ever hit, is my subframe mounts on my driveway
and my exhaust resonator on my girlfriends driveway

Quick Reply: Question for Lowerd B5's, bottom'in out much?