B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Question for anybody who has parted out their A4 or currently parting it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Default Question for anybody who has parted out their A4 or currently parting it out

My car has been sitting for over a year and I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm not going to have time or money to fix it. So I need advice on whether to part it out or to try and sell it as a roller.

Long story short. Oil sludge claimed my original engine. I bought a used engine and did the work to swap it into my car. I drove great for a few month and then the bolt that goes in the front of the crank that holds the sprocket that the timing belt goes around broke. I've been debating finding another used engine and swapping again but I don't think I will ever get around to do it.

I don't really have the time to part the car out but that is probably the way I will get the most money out of it.

My question is... About how much can one reasonably expect to get when parting one of these out? I'm looking for people who have been through this before. How much did the major parts bring? I'm thinking that you could easily get between 1500-2000 for parts. Am I being to optimistic?

I am going to try to sell it all together before I start parting. I would like to sell it for 500-750 less than I think I can get for the parts to save on time and effort it takes to part a car out.

A guy locally offered me 500 for the roller. It sounds way too low, but maybe if I am only looking at getting 1200-1500 from the parts then maybe I will entertain his offer.

Please don't post back with what parts you want. I'm not looking to sell anything is here. I will create a new post in the for sale section if I decide to part it out. But if you have any experience parting one of these out please share your experience with me.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

You were right about getting more money to part it out instead of selling it as a roller.

Honestly, it really depends on the condition of your car. Some parts in good condition would cost generally more than the ones that aren't. I'd also think that facelifted B5's (99.5+) would bring more money as you have the updated body style that people prefer over the pre-facelift.

Last edited by kriptonik; 05-10-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on facelift or not, motor and overall condition of the car!

Edit: Krip posted before I could type!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM

I won't benefit from selling facelift parts since mine is a 97.

Here is more details on my car.

97 1.8t manual quattro
black exterior and interior
car has around 160k miles on it
for its year and mileage it is in very good shape (most all parts in average-good condition)

Only stock parts will be parted or included with roller. All performance parts have already been removed and have been sold or are going to be sold separately.

I have two engines. both of which aren't running. First one has bent valves in the head, a broken rod and major damage on one of the pistons. Second likely has bent valves although I haven't pulled to head to verify, and a broken bolt that goes into crank. so neither engine is worth very much and I don't expect getting much for them or for parts of them.