B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Quattro in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Default Quattro in snow

So I've been living in VA since June, and I got my car in May, meaning I haven't driven it in snow. I came home for Thanksgiving weekend (home = Northwest PA) and got to drive it in snow for the first time. I have to say I'm really impressed. It's like a tank! I can see why everyone loves quattro now!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Sooooooo much fun!!!
I got mine going into winter last year coming out of a 2006 Jeep G. Cherokee which was a beast in the snow and on gas(big reason on why i got rid of it) and this quattro is as good or better in the snow and might be more fun bcuz its lower to the ground.
Gooooooooo Quattro!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

You'll find that you can be a hooligan with it, slide it at will when you choose to, and really hang it out there, but when you're done being an a-hole, you can upshift and back off the gas and it'll tuck back in nicely. That's one of my favorite traits about its snow handling.

As a side note - lowers don't like ice/salt chunks from plow trucks. I was engaged in the aforementioned a-hole behavior and it cost me the two driver's side lowers.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

I haven't had the pleasure of really deep snow yet (I do live in Utah though, so there's plenty of opportunity to go play in the snow in the near future) but there was a mellow storm a while back that allowed me to have some fun. I too was very impressed at how easy driving in it was, didn't slide at all or lose control in the slightest while going the speed limit weaving through all the people that acted like the 2 inches or so of slush that was on the road was a foot of powder and were thus going less than half the speed limit. I can't wait for a decent storm to roll in to try out devil's "a-hole" tricks, that sounds like a ton of fun

Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 PM

yeah i had the pleasure of driving in the snow the other day. car sticks to the road like crazy. just like domperrion^ i came from a jeep grand cherokee last year which was a complete tank but that thing slides out around the turns easy then my audi ha.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

lol I came from a GC too. This is my first winter w/ it and so far its been great. Kinda disappointment in my Bridgestone Potenza All seasons though.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

That's so funny, I used to use my mom's Jeep GC to play in the snow (and occasionally my old 94 Cavi). I just can't wait for Kentucky to get some snow to go be a hooligan in. Anyone ever gotten a ticket from their snow activities? I haven't but I have had some stern lectures by a couple of cold, grumpy cops.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Went out this morning to play in 8-10" of new snow here in Monument, CO...! With the Quattro and last week I bought some used Hankook iPike winter tires this thing can't be stopped, its a blast. I'm kinda wondering at what snow depth will it bogg down. The bottom is scrapping as it is...

palmerlaker
2001 A4 1.8tqm

Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gigantor
That's so funny, I used to use my mom's Jeep GC to play in the snow (and occasionally my old 94 Cavi). I just can't wait for Kentucky to get some snow to go be a hooligan in. Anyone ever gotten a ticket from their snow activities? I haven't but I have had some stern lectures by a couple of cold, grumpy cops.
What part of KY you from? I'm from Maysville, but live in Lexington

Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Site Moderator

Driving sideways with near complete control is nice.... and engaging into a dounut from a stand still..... and being able to pull away from pretty much every other car on the road from a stop through snow and ice. Only problem with it for some people is becoming over confident.

Quick Reply: Quattro in snow