B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Purchasing some things would like input

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Purchasing some things would like input

Ok so I'm looking at picking up a turbo timer, Boost Gauge, and an exhaust for my 01 A4 1.8tqm.

I've supplied some links as most of this if not all will be from Ebay unless it's available cheaper from somewhere else. Keep in mind i'm new to the audi world.

Turbo Timer:

Not looking for anyhting big or bulky just something easy to install that is not an eye sore.

thoughts on this one? Would you recommend something different?
</title><meta name="description" content="Apexi Auto Turbo Timer Control Unit Black Pen with RED Digital LED for Universal in eBay Motors , Parts Accessories , Car Truck Parts , Turbos, Nitrous, Superchargers , Turbo Chargers Parts |eBay"><meta name=

Boost Gauge:
No links for this one atm as im looking through the million available. I've seen them anywhere from 50$ to 400+ I would like one that accents the black leather with red light interior of the car. Quality does of course matter but within reason. AEM? any other brands that offer a quality boost gauge fitting my interior that doesnt break the bank?

Exhaust:

Again no links yet as im going through the many online ones available. I'm interested in getting a test pipe and i've hear there are ways to utilize this without setting on a cel? if so any info on this would be great.

As for the exhaust itself I'm at a loss as where to start. Looking for something affordable that will give me a deep loud sound when im on the pedal or decelerating in a lower gear but not something that sounds like a rice rocket. need to keep it classy still.

Also aware that there are many posts on this but locating this exact info via searching has yielded minimal results. Thanks for any and all help its greatly appreciated.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Why does everyone think they need a turbo timer? Turbo timers are more for oil only cooled turbos. Just drive slow for a minute or two before you stop your car.

You can go get a gauge from advanced auto or somewhere local for $25-30.

As for the exhaust, most people cut their muffler off and stick on a magnaflow. You can use a test pipe if you space the 02 sensor.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

like i said im new to the audi world also this is my first turbo vehicle always had V8 trucks before.

Only reason i was interested in t he turbo timer was i just didnt wanna damage anything on the car.

I'm in Canada and im also in a rural area so theres not much to chose from for performance/auto parts for this vehicle.

I got a Canadian Tire and like a NAPA near me lol.

The boost gauge i'm just mainly interested in something that suits the car and doesnt look like it belongs on a civic or at the disco. Need a set up that has a kit included or the availability of a kit for it to hook it up just not fond of paying 200+ for an AEM one if i don't need to.

Googled some magnaflow clips on youtube doesnt really sound all that deep to me. I liked the sound of some of the borla exhausts more. Is there a way i can just delete the middle muffler completely and put on say a borla muffler at the end? Does a muffler delete kit exist for this perticular car? looking in to it now.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by heavymetal2000
Ok so I'm looking at picking up a turbo timer, Boost Gauge, and an exhaust for my 01 A4 1.8tqm.

I've supplied some links as most of this if not all will be from Ebay unless it's available cheaper from somewhere else. Keep in mind i'm new to the audi world.

Turbo Timer:

Not looking for anyhting big or bulky just something easy to install that is not an eye sore.

thoughts on this one? Would you recommend something different?
</title><meta name="description" content="Apexi Auto Turbo Timer Control Unit Black Pen with RED Digital LED for Universal in eBay Motors , Parts Accessories , Car Truck Parts , Turbos, Nitrous, Superchargers , Turbo Chargers Parts |eBay"><meta name=

Boost Gauge:
No links for this one atm as im looking through the million available. I've seen them anywhere from 50$ to 400+ I would like one that accents the black leather with red light interior of the car. Quality does of course matter but within reason. AEM? any other brands that offer a quality boost gauge fitting my interior that doesnt break the bank?

Exhaust:

Again no links yet as im going through the many online ones available. I'm interested in getting a test pipe and i've hear there are ways to utilize this without setting on a cel? if so any info on this would be great.
Bones is right, you don't really need a turbo timer. I try to stay out of boost for the last mile or so of my trip and then let the car idle for about a minute in the parking lot and it's been fine. That's how long it takes me to turn off my radio, find my cellphone and wallet, take off my seat belt, check that my car is in the middle of the space, etc.

For test pipes, this is one of the FEW things I will recommend finding on eBay. The fitment and build quality of eBay test pipes has shown to be pretty good. To prevent a CEL you can use a O2 sensor spacer. That's the exact one I ran on my old ATP test pipe before I snapped a stud off in it like an ******* and had to replace it . Same design as the one 034 sells but 1/3 the price. That should prevent your CEL, but if you have emissions inspection in your area, the lack of a catalyst will fail you anyway. Just something to keep in mind.

As for the exhaust itself I'm at a loss as where to start. Looking for something affordable that will give me a deep loud sound when im on the pedal or decelerating in a lower gear but not something that sounds like a rice rocket. need to keep it classy still.
I'm running this exhaust from SSAC and I'm very happy with it. The version for our cars is about 2/3 of the way down the page. $400 shipped in the CONUS. Sounds better after it has a few thousand miles on it.

Also aware that there are many posts on this but locating this exact info via searching has yielded minimal results. Thanks for any and all help its greatly appreciated.
This keeps popping up. My day job is configuring enterprise search applications so it bothers me that the search on this site isn't worth the disk space it takes up. I'm going to talk to the vBulletin guys and see about improving the search functionality, but in the mean time try using Google. Enter your search terms like usual, and then a space and write "site:www.audiforums.com" and it will limit your search to that domain.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

I'm running this exhaust from SSAC and I'm very happy with it. The version for our cars is about 2/3 of the way down the page. $400 shipped in the CONUS. Sounds better after it has a few thousand miles on it.
I'm in canada so the shippings a bit more but for the price thats a nice sounding exhaust especially for the price. Wonder what it would sound like with the mid muffler replaced with straight pipe...

For test pipes, this is one of the FEW things I will recommend finding on eBay. The fitment and build quality of eBay test pipes has shown to be pretty good. To prevent a CEL you can use a O2 sensor spacer. That's the exact one I ran on my old ATP test pipe before I snapped a stud off in it like an ******* and had to replace it . Same design as the one 034 sells but 1/3 the price. That should prevent your CEL, but if you have emissions inspection in your area, the lack of a catalyst will fail you anyway. Just something to keep in mind.
Any particular one you recommend? link to one on Ebay.ca for one you personally would run on your vehicle would be awesome. Or i guess just look up atp on Ebay? Northern Canada so no emission tests. Thankfully since I'm still trying to solve my p0411 (think thats the number) code for secondary air flow.

As for the searching it does give me results sometimes but a lot of times its hard to get specific and still get results you want.

Also since i got you here CCA4 Would you recommend short shifters from Ebay too? Interested in one if so could you link me to one that fits our cars? I get nervous looking at things on Ebay that say they fit the 01 A4 B5 tqm but may not actually. Thanks Again.

Last edited by heavymetal2000; 02-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Administrator

I'm in canada so the shippings a bit more but for the price thats a nice sounding exhaust especially for the price. Wonder what it would sound like with the mid muffler replaced with straight pipe...
I'd be cautious there, especially if your car is your daily driver. Seems to me there would be a LOT of drone.

Any particular one you recommend? link to one on Ebay.ca for one you personally would run on your vehicle would be awesome. Or i guess just look up atp on Ebay? Northern Canada so no emission tests. Thankfully since I'm still trying to solve my p0411 (think thats the number) code for secondary air flow.

As for the searching it does give me results sometimes but a lot of times its hard to get specific and still get results you want.
I would run something like this. 3" all the way through as opposed to the other ones that come out of the hot side at 2.5" and then open up to 3". Those gaskets are probably cheap ****, I would replace them.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Try VAGSearch - the best tool for Audi and VW enthusiasts (no its not a **** locator). One of our members created it and it absolutely rocks.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

For the boost gauge, AWE center vent gauge or bust. Looks the most OEM imo.

AWE Tuning Vent Mounted Boost Gauge Kit | AWE Tuning

Blends right into the interior.

Name:  DSC03614.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  483.6 KB

Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Try VAGSearch - the best tool for Audi and VW enthusiasts (no its not a **** locator). One of our members created it and it absolutely rocks.
Thanks Devil will try it out definitely. Meantime my search continues for the right parts.

Going to order the test pipe shortly and then save a little and order the exhaust then it'll all go on in the spring as its -30 to 40 the last 3 weeks and not letting up.

For the boost gauge, AWE center vent gauge or bust. Looks the most OEM imo.
Yeh really like the look of that one and @ 209 for the reclaimed one its not too bad price wise. Too bad they didnt offer some sort of core charge for your vent your replacing heh. Looking in to most likely going with this one i read the article didn't notice if it mentioned does it come with the rest of the kit to hook it up or i gotta buy there kit also... Gonna double check.

I'd be cautious there, especially if your car is your daily driver. Seems to me there would be a LOT of drone.
Hmm yeh daily driver it is. May as well leave it as is and hear it for a while. Go from there.

I would run something like this. 3" all the way through as opposed to the other ones that come out of the hot side at 2.5" and then open up to 3". Those gaskets are probably cheap ****, I would replace them.
For replacing the gasket you mean say go to a napa and buy some heavier duty one similarly to those but better? Is this what you did?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator

For replacing the gasket you mean say go to a napa and buy some heavier duty one similarly to those but better? Is this what you did?
Right. Most of the time the gaskets that come with eBay stuff are cheap ****. Might be worth the money to pick up a cat/test pipe install kit from RAI or ECS with some decent gaskets and hardware. I only ran my SSAC cat back for a few hundred miles on the stock cat with the gaskets they provided before I replaced the cat with my RAI test pipe and new gaskets, and the gaskets that came with the cat back basically fell apart in my hands when I unbolted everything.

Quick Reply: Purchasing some things would like input