B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Punctured oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Angry Punctured oil pan

Hey guys, i've got a 98 2.8 quattro and when i went to leave today i noticed oil all over the floor of my garage, when i checked under the car i saw two chunks in my oil pan dripping out oil. I was wondering if anyone knew where i could order a replacement pan and how much of a headache i'm getting myself into replacing it myself.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Site Moderator

Ebay is going to be your best bet for a pan. Not sure about the install but it should be sort of self explanatory if you look under the car.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM
5th Gear

install is dumb easy. you take out the 10mm(or 8mm?) bolts around the pan, undo the harness on the oil pressure sensor and then try to get something between the oil pan to get it off. that last step may take the longest. make sure you have gasket sealer like red ATV for the install. clean the surfaces where the oil pan meets the engine and vice versa, put everything back on, and fill the car with oil. boom you're done. shouldn't take more than 4 hrs for the first time even for somebody knew at DIY.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Hmm, really? Cause for the 1.8 I've read you have to drop the subframe in order to get the pan out. I'm about to do mine due to it being cross threaded but i've been dreading it due to dropping the subframe.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by djMichaels
Hmm, really? Cause for the 1.8 I've read you have to drop the subframe in order to get the pan out. I'm about to do mine due to it being cross threaded but i've been dreading it due to dropping the subframe.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
I have been under my audi and my pan has nothing under it's just unbolt everything and then put everything back

BUT ALL WAY'S REMEMBER CLEAN OUT THE OLD GUNK FROM THE OLD PAN THAT WAS TOUCHING THE BLOCK BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T YOUR GONNA HAVE TO GO BACK THERE AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN AND THAT SUCK'S.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

The subframe is not in the way on the the 2.8 all you have to do is unbolt the pan. Unfortunately for the 1.8t you have to drop the subframe. I just did it in my 1.8, its not as bad as you think.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 AM

Well i got my broken oil pan off quite easily, threw some JB weld on the cracks and hopefully that will hold me off until my replacement gets here in a week or so. I have to say, at first i regretted getting the 2.8 over the 1.8T but everything I've encountered so far working on the car, even though I've got a miserable few options for aftermarket parts, given the chance I'd buy the 2.8 all over again.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:07 AM
1st Gear

JB weld is liquid gold. The 2.8 is a pretty reliable motor from what I've read on the internet. So far I'm very happy with mine other than the lack of power.