B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Program Remote

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Program Remote

ok so i had problems with locks 2-3 days ago and i had to change black box look alike(lock pump) in the trunk,passenger side coz it burned...so i got another one from junkyard but my remote doesnt work now...lol does anyone know how to program a remote???

Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward, not starting the engine.

2. Roll down the driver's side window just in case something goes wrong. Step outside the car, and lock the car manually with a second key.

3. With your key fob, press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition. The remote is now programmed.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jokeabus
1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward, not starting the engine.

2. Roll down the driver's side window just in case something goes wrong. Step outside the car, and lock the car manually with a second key.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition. The remote is now programmed.
Is the spare key really needed?! Cant you just roll down the window and lock it manually?! Im just wondering cause i went to Home Depot and they said cant make a copy of my key! ?:-(
Thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the spare key is necessary to keep the electrical system operational when you are outside the vehicle. You can use the key on the remote to lock the car. This needs to be done from the outside of the vehicle in order to arm the anti-theft system.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a new spare is at a dealership.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Yes, the spare key is necessary to keep the electrical system operational when you are outside the vehicle. You can use the key on the remote to lock the car. This needs to be done from the outside of the vehicle in order to arm the anti-theft system.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a new spare is at a dealership.
sorry for stealing your post man Maitis!

Anyways do you know like how much they charge for a new spare key at a dealership?

thanks

Last edited by Isramirez21; 08-11-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

ok number 4 when you said i have to unlock the car should i do it with remote??

Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

thanks man just did it...thx for help

Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Isramirez21
sorry for stealing your post man Maitis!

Anyways do you know like how much they charge for a new spare key at a dealership?

thanks
I'm not exactly sure how much they would charge for another key. You'll only need a stripped down valet key, though, so they wont be charging you for the key fob and labor ('stupid' tax) for programming it.

They can make a new key using your chassis number, but you'll need to bring the log book, your passport or some other form of ID, and two utility bills in your name before they'll do anything.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

i think you could find somewhere else to make a spare key without remote...if you want it with remote you gonna have to go to dealer and they will charge you around $200 thats what i heard....

Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

You can get blank keys w/fob from ebay for cheap. The lazer cutting is where the dealer or other place comes into play.

Quick Reply: Program Remote