B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Problems with st chip. Not good

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Legal Moderator
Default Problems with st chip. Not good

So for the past couple weeks ive noticed something bad happening with my car. probably is the speedtuning chip but myabe not. Normal drving is no problem. If i floor it and boost hits good, around 18-20psi, the car either knocks or misses. yes i can get the cel to blink and no it doesnt stay on. i could hook a reader up and see if there are any codes stored besides miss fire codes but i doubt it. im getting kind of mad about it and am almost ready to have the software deleted but it might not be the problem. my guesses are, obviously, the tuning, maybe bad gas but i put a bunch in there and still does it, some other fueling issue, or possibly an ignition problem like a bad coil pack. through your ideas my way please

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Guru

i would say bad coil or spark plug

pull the codes, see what they are/tell us.... if it is spark, try moving the coil(s) and see what happens....

i had a flashing cell, but was soft... i had to work to make it stay.... when i did it was misfires.... i went to autozone cause it was late, need new packs, bought a few........ worked a few days...... went to audi got new packs all is good

Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Legal Moderator

sounds good. ill pull the codes tonight probably. im hoping it only one cylinder thats misfiring. my buddy whose a mechanic was thinking its a sparkplug. but what gets me is wouldnt it misfire at high revs than too without boost? it revs great until you hit high boost.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

definitely sounds like coil pack. or spark plugs. your spark plugs should be one step colder and gapped a little more closely after a tune like that, right?
check codes and if it's a misfiring cylinder, switch that coil pack with another one, erase the codes and see if you get a misfiring cylinder for the one you switched

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
3rd Gear

Its coil or plugs. The wrong plugs could cause this as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Guru

I know a lot of guys running high boost like copper plugs but you have to change them every 3k miles or so because they foul fast. I also know that Ford Motorcraft plugs run pretty cool too.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Guru

i like my copper plugs

Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Yeah until the basics and common issues are covered, it's jumping the gun to blame the tune. The tune doesn't change so if the program was bad you'd have had issues from the get-go. I'm with the others on this - I'd look at other components first.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
2nd Gear

Did you gap the plugs to .028 after you put in the chip? If you did then then I agree with everyone to try out some new plugs first and then go from there.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Legal Moderator

ok so riddle me this... chip worked great since i got it around october. now something else must be wrong. but why does boost numbers matter? at 0psi, no matter the rev, it runs great. if it wot, runs great. until it hits max boost. wouldnt a fouled plug make issues at any psi? at any rate i wasnt able to scan it tonight so ill do that tomorrow and switch around plug/coil. ill be back tomorrow with more info.

Quick Reply: Problems with st chip. Not good