B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Problems, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Default Problems, need help!

Been having a few problems with my car recently. Since i've had the car i have noticed a small tick only ocasionally but in the past 2 months it's gotten a little worst, haven't noticed it in about two weeks, it has been doin well, but at times when stoped or in neutral it sounds almost like a diesel. If i rev the engine it goes away but then drops to idle and it comes back. So i thought maybe the engine was dirty and the valves were not the cleanest, so i threw a can of 44K in the car. I did that today so i haven't given it time to see if it helps. But i did some research and it seems like it could be the cam tensioner, or i read that something about it could be simple as i believe it was power stearing being low. Does those two problems sound right?

Another problem this has only happened a couple times but when i start the car it would give me a really loud whining noice, when i pop the hood it got even louder. i read that it could be a bad fuel filter. does that sound right?

any advice would be great, also how much would all this cost me to do myself if those are the problems. i also read that maybe some seafoam would help out.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Tech Guru

Yeah, try seafoam.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM

anyone?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

99.9% sure its the cam tensioner, be ready to spend at least $700 in parts
i had the same problem about 2 months ago i guess, i tried seafom it didnt work,
good luck w that..

Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Um the loud whining almost sounds like a belt? wheres the noise coming from? and I would do an oil change sea foam and throw some motor honey in it. Theres also something near the airbox that develops a tick and is normal. Does the tick sound like its coming from the engine? The fact that the ticking goes away under accelaration makes me wanna say its not the cam tensioner

Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

resize your sig man!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

if the noise comes from this part, then is the tensioner

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  62.6 KB

Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

and if it comes from the intake its normal

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a4nick
Um the loud whining almost sounds like a belt? wheres the noise coming from? and I would do an oil change sea foam and throw some motor honey in it. Theres also something near the airbox that develops a tick and is normal. Does the tick sound like its coming from the engine? The fact that the ticking goes away under accelaration makes me wanna say its not the cam tensioner
Wrong. It sounds like cam chain tensioner to me. I had to replace mine and your symptoms sounds exactly like mine. No sound under load or revving, but sounds like a diesel at idle. i couldnt find the part for less than $650 on the web and the shops I contacted all quoted me about 8-10 hours labor. The good news is if you're due for timing belt and water pump ect, this would be a good opprotunity to do all of it since the front end will already be off. Good luck.

edit: if you're gonna do it yourself Auditech79 put a cam chain DIY up in the DIY section.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

sounds like you have a couple of problems. 1st check your power steering fluid sounds like you are a little low. Then you noisy engine could be the timing chain tensioner or a sludged up engine. Take a screwdriver and put the handle to your ear and touch the other end on different parts of the engine. Where it is the loudest is the location of your problem. If its coming from the back of the engine then it probably the chain tensioner. If the noise is coming from all over then i would say a sludged up engine. good luck

Quick Reply: Problems, need help!