B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

problems with audi???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Default problems with audi???

i have a 99 audi a4 quattro and theres a couple problems with it, 1- the check engine light is on and we used two different kinds of scanners and nothing shows up? another thing is that the idle is messed up, it goes up and down and i was informed that the clutch got burnt out because it would almost stall out so they had to rev it alot before they put it in gear or something? and another thing is that the Ebrake light is blinking. can anyone help me do i have an electrical problem

Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear

Doesn't show anything or can't read anything? Does it give you any info like controller ID or anything else?

Is the ABS light on and the Ebrake light blinking next to it? Sounds like what happens when the ABS module goes out. I couldn't connect to anything to read codes when my ABS module when out.

Idle issue is most likely that the throttle body needs an alignment. Other possibilities are the CTS(coolant temp sensor) or you need new throttle body.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear

what scanners did you use? do you have an aftermarket stereo?

your idle problem is most likely a vacuum leak (assuming its a 1.8t)

Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 PM

i have no clue what kind of scanners were used but the guy just told me he got a code p1545 which i looked up and found, is that what would be causing the idle problem? and also it is the 1.8t and theres no headunit in it right now so theres no stereo, and yes the abs lights are on.. he also just told me theres some hoses that are plugged up or something ill ask him what hoses they are and post them

Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17953/P1545/005445

Looks you got lots of stuff to work on

Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Site Moderator

if the ABS light is on as well as the blinking brake light, then you need a new ABS module (or at least send it off to be rebuilt) from www.Modulemaster.com.

The reason you see no codes for those warning lights is because the scanner cannot connect with the module at all. There is no other option but to have it rebuilt (approx $250 or replace the electronics part of the ABS pump $500). This is a very common issue with the Bosch 5.3 ABS module used in many cars. A solder point comes loose inside the electronics. I have a module replacement on the way to me right now actually.

BTW - this means your car does NOT have working anti-lock braking functionality.

Last edited by brrman; 02-07-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

when you remove the stock radio you can disrupt the k-line system the car uses to communicate between sensors. this is why when you install an aftermarket radio, or have no radio at all, you cant pull codes and the OBD2 port seems like its not working.

your ABS module could be dead, or you might just not be able to scan it because of that reason. the way to test that is simply to try and make the ABS come on. if you lock up the tires, its not working.

that code you found may be cleared up if you do a throttle body adaptation. or it could mean your TB needs replacing or cleaning.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

This is a very similar problem I have with my '97 a4 1.8t quat. Everything else on the car is very sound and seems to be working almost flawlessly. The only problem is that almost every time I drive, my ABS and Brake light kick on and stay on for the duration of the trip. I tested the ABS in the snow while the light was on and the system works fine. The brakes don't lock and the mechanisms seem to be strong. Any info I could get on where to start looking for the seemingly electrical problem?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM

the guy just told me that i have all new sensors around my throttle body or something and we got a used MAF sensor and its still having idle problems... what else could i try? or should i just have it towed to Audi and have them diagnose it

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Site Moderator

the way to test that is simply to try and make the ABS come on. if you lock up the tires, its not working.
That's not really an adequate test. I had the ABS/brake light coming on for about 3 weeks before I lot all ABS functionality.

Quick Reply: problems with audi???