B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

problem with HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear
Default problem with HIDs

Hi all, I just installed 5000k H7 HIDs into my new projector headlights, (ecodes) which look awesome . Problem is that they wont light up!!! I checked all connections, several times, and made sure (like three times) that everything was hooked up as it should be. After all these HID kits are pretty straight forward. I am at a loss for figuring this one out, I have resorted to leaving the new headlight assemblies in the car and putting in the halogen H7 lamps. Any ideas or clues that can help me with this one? Do I need to change the headlight relay to a high power type relay? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Can you hear a humming sound from the ballasts? Also, what car and year do you have?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Check out the fuse.

What kit do you have btw?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 AM
4th Gear

u dont need a high power anything... i just plugged mine in and they work great.... check the SIG

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Administrator

If you got a VVME kit and the headlight fuses are not blown (there are no headlight relays BTW, and the HID ballasts only draw 35w vs 55w for halogens, so their power draw is lower, not higher), then reverse the two bladed connectors plugged into the rectangular bulb connector inside the headlight housing. That has helped some people fix a no-light issue.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Yeah I baked my noodle on that one for about 3 hours when I did my conversion. I went over and over checking fuses, relays, lights, ballasts, and it turns out the connectors will plug together two different ways even though they only work one way. Try that.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear

well to see if they really work you can try to hook up a 12volt battery you can also use the multimeter to make sure there getting power and i bett you just dont have it grounded right? do you know anything about electrical on how it works?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

ok here it goes... lol

Yes I can hear a clicking/humming noise coming from the ballast. I forgot to mention that I have a 1996 A4 B5 2.8

The kit coms from a company called xenon-vision, www.xenon-vision.com, and it has 5000k h7 bulbs with ballasts for 35 watt bulbs, and the wiring harness that came with the kit.

Fuse is fine, I did not change it and the halogens are still working, so nothing got blown/burned up.

I checked and flipped around the connections and tried it several times with no luck.

So I am still at the point where when I turn on the HIDs they flash for a split second then go out and nothing else...... ahh i love it when things go easy lol

I even called the company that sold the kit and they said to hook it up directly to the battery, which I did... also no go.

I swapped out ballasts, and wiring harnesses, and that didn't fix it either. as far as the ground goes, any splices that i made i did with blade type connectors which i soldered, so they have a good connection.

thanks for the quick responses....any other ideas/hints?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Some of the kits on the market include, or offer as add-on accessories, relay-switched igniter harnesses. It may be that you need those to fire the ballasts. Or it's possible that you got a defective set - it's not unheard-of.

Maybe a dumb question but you did have the key turned on when you tested them right? Out headlights are ignition switched and won't come on without they being turned on.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the info on the igniter harness. I'll check that out. I thought that one of the ballasts could be bad, but both of them? I kinda doubt that but stranger things have happened. Thats why I switched out everything a few times to troubleshoot it and eliminate things, but still no go.

LOL yes the car was running before I turned on the lights to check each time.

Thanks again, the saga continues........

Quick Reply: problem with HIDs