B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Pressure regulator valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default Pressure regulator valve

Could someone enlighten me on what this valve does exactly? It' located on the intake hose. If it went bad, would it cause boost problems similar to a faulty n75 or wastegate?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Slut

Vents your crankcase to the turbo inlet. Called the pcv system. Delete that **** and get a catchcan.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Vents your crankcase to the turbo inlet. Called the pcv system. Delete that **** and get a catchcan.
so this acts like a filter??? and how do you know when its bad?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Andrew149
so this acts like a filter??? and how do you know when its bad?
Not exactly, it just regulates when it allows vapors thru it. Like when the turbo is sucking in a lot of air, the valve is open and pulling the excess air and oil vapors out of your crankcase. Problem is that its pushing oil and crap thru your turbo, which obv isn't good. You want nice fresh air going thru it. Most people delete the pcv system and run a catchcan instead. It's debatable whether you should have the pcv hooked up to the catchcan or just have a filter on the catchcan to vent it to atmosphere, but imho, a vented catchcan that's mounted high is perfect. A bad pcv valve (or pancake valve) would be cracked and leaking oil out of it. If you saw how much oil accumulates in a catchcan, you'd never allow that to go thru your turbo.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Not exactly, it just regulates when it allows vapors thru it. Like when the turbo is sucking in a lot of air, the valve is open and pulling the excess air and oil vapors out of your crankcase. Problem is that its pushing oil and crap thru your turbo, which obv isn't good. You want nice fresh air going thru it. Most people delete the pcv system and run a catchcan instead. It's debatable whether you should have the pcv hooked up to the catchcan or just have a filter on the catchcan to vent it to atmosphere, but imho, a vented catchcan that's mounted high is perfect. A bad pcv valve (or pancake valve) would be cracked and leaking oil out of it. If you saw how much oil accumulates in a catchcan, you'd never allow that to go thru your turbo.
how much are those catchcans you conveinced me =D

Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 AM
2nd Gear

I am now enlightened. Thanks for that info!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator

This is on my list of things to do eventually. Andrew, you can DIY for cheap. eBay has decent stuff. Check out this thread:

http://www.audifreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756

EDIT: Thought it was worth adding that, if you couldn't tell by the pictures, that DIY was for the MkI TT, which has a transversely mounted 1.8T as opposed to ours which is longitudinal. I linked that thread more for the explanation and information it contains, not so much the installation guide. I'll see if i can find a good DIY for the A4

Last edited by CCA4; 11-19-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

You shouldn't use a vented catch can because it will let in unmetered air.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You shouldn't use a vented catch can because it will let in unmetered air.
Its also bad for the whales and trees and baby seals and whatever else the hippies are trying to save these days

Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
This is on my list of things to do eventually. Andrew, you can DIY for cheap. eBay has decent stuff. Check out this thread:

http://www.audifreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756

EDIT: Thought it was worth adding that, if you couldn't tell by the pictures, that DIY was for the MkI TT, which has a transversely mounted 1.8T as opposed to ours which is longitudinal. I linked that thread more for the explanation and information it contains, not so much the installation guide. I'll see if i can find a good DIY for the A4
thanks buddy looks pretty intresting!

Quick Reply: Pressure regulator valve