B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Power steering pump

I drive a 96 Audi A4 v6

A few days ago, i was in the process of replacing my water pump, roller, and drive belt tensioner pulleys and also routing my turbo piping to fit perfectly infront of my motor and seeing how i was going to mount my intercooler i got from ECStuning. I put everything back together and everything sounded good.

A few hours after that, there is a clicking sound coming from the front of my engine. I used a screw driver to check were the sound was coming from. Its a low dense clicking/rumbling sound of metal. So i listened with a screw driver and found nothing in my cly heads because it sounded like it could of been a lifter, but it wasn't, then i though of maybe a pulley because the sound was coming from the front of the engine. I listed to the bottom and its not as crisp of a sound on the bottom of the engine only the top middle part. So now i put the screw driver on the power steering pump, and the sound is REALLY HEAVY from there.

So my basic question is do power steering pump click or rumble when there going out, worn, or broken? There is nothing else thats wrong because when i took everything back off all the pulleys were on perfectly and installed correctly. So thats my major concern right now is to figure out if thats the problem cause as of right now im at a loss and if there is one thing i have learned about these audis is that when you think its 1 thing, its always something else that you would never expect.