B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

power outlet missing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Gear
Default power outlet missing

pk, now that I got the ashtray fixed, I have another problem. The rear power outlet is missing. I mean it looks like it was just taken out, it's really weird. I would like to replace it so that I can charge my cellphone, mp3 player, etc. simultaneously. Does anybody know where I can buy a new (or used) aftermarket piece? I'd rather do it myself, because Audi will charge me like $150 for a simple job like that.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

Any auto parts store should carry a generic 12V "cigarette lighter" socket.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Here's what I did for a clean install. Take off the trim panel below the steering column and you'll see a few posts under there - three (I believe) with red cables attached, and one with a yellow cable attached. The red ones are powered all the time, and the yellow one is only powered when the key is on.

Get a cig lighter Y-jack (you plug it into the cig lighter and it gives you two sockets - they're about $6 at Walmart). Cut one of the sockets off. Put a ring terminal on a wire, along with a 10A inline fuse, and run that wire from one of the posts, across under the dash, and out the passenger side. Attach it to one of the socket's wires. Run a wire from the other lead to a ground point inside the dash. Reinstall the under-dash trim panel (you're done there). Plug your phone charger into it, and tuck it up under the center console, where it meets the carpet, on the passenger side. If you push it up under the console trim, you can tuck it down behind the carpet, and it'll be invisible. Your charger cord will just come out from behind the console trim, where the carpet meets the console. Then it wouldn't matter about your lighter socket - you'll have a dedicated jack for your phone that doesn't get in the way. I did it so I could keep the lighter socket free for my GPS when I need to use it, or for a second phone charger or whatever.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM

An easy fix would be an outlet 1-2 adapter!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

That's basically what I did by adding a second outlet - I just hardwired it separately, hid it inside the console, and made it a dedicated phone jack. To the OP, what exactly is the issue with yours - is it that the lighter itself doesn't work or that there is no power in the outlet?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
3rd Gear

I think he's talking about where the OBDII port goes in the back in like Europe or w/e.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by somebody5788
I think he's talking about where the OBDII port goes in the back in like Europe or w/e.
Yeah that's what it sounds like. Otherwise he probably would have used the words "cigarette" and "lighter" somewhere in there.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:57 PM

how could he power a cell phone/mp3 player with an obd2 port?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

Well technically there is a 12v power through an obd2 port but on our cars there is just an empty hole there if its a us spec one. He probably thinks its missing a power outlet or something.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

I'm thinkin that he saw the empty slot where the european OBDII port is (the little flap/door/thingy behind the center console) and assumed it was a power port/cig lighter. I don't think stickin one in there would be terribly difficult if you found a nearby 12V source and a decent ground, then just used that location to hide it?

Quick Reply: power outlet missing