B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Potential Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

Redline are you running the eliminator setup?

I know this is going to get dateraped before I even say it but there are some K04 hybrids out there that you can break 300whp with. They are not stock like what comes from KKK but have been modified with bigger compressors and turbines. They offer insane spool with an extremely fat mid range. I don't know anyone yet that has tried this route. I have converted a much larger K04 myself but am most likely still a month before all my maintenance is sorted and all the bugs are sorted. Once I get it dialed in I am sure it is going to make skeptics into believers. It has some custom parts but nothing that is any harder to duplicate then say regular GT28RS swap (not the elim). The price is nice as well.

However it is hard to suggest this without having the bugs worked out and without having numbers to go off of. I am ordering the Maestro setup either this week or next (depends when I get the car back from getting damage fixed) and then I should be able to get issues fixed. I can tell you now though that it "feels" a lot faster then AWE K04 kit with PC16 and that is running PC16 tune and short shifting at 5000 RPM. Where the AWE K04 runs out of breath around 5K this turbo is still wanting to pull but my AFR's are **** and it is not safe to run past 5K at the moment. The other awesome part is it uses genuine Borg turbo.

To compare this turbo to something else it is bigger then the Franken turbo and the compressor flows more then a GT28R....

Last edited by zandrew; 02-20-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Legal Moderator

no elim turbo for me. big t25 housing, .83 or .86 or whatever it is. i am well aware of your "fascination" with large k04 turbos, but most people are looking for a k03, t25, or t3 turbo flange for ease of installation. i posted the vids just so OP knows going BT is a whole other beast. if he has the cash, hands down, without any question whatsoever, even if theres a fire, get an EFR turbo. best of every world there is.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM

If your planning a project, plan for an EFR becuase nothing else is going to make you as happy.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

In response to redlline- I definitely don't want to go big turbo.

I plan to replace the internals that need to be replaced for this power. In this case I contacted Integrated Engineering and they said that I will just need to buy exhaust valves and connecting rods. I know its not an easy job but it was a lot less than I expected to need.

I also plan to reduce the weight by installing better seats in the front with harnesses and also removing the rear seats. I'm not sure how else I should reduce weights.

And Jonbonesjones- Are you talking about the EFR kit from RAI? If so, that is resulting in a lot more horsepower than I'm looking for.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by zaboomafoo1212
In response to redlline- I definitely don't want to go big turbo.

I plan to replace the internals that need to be replaced for this power. In this case I contacted Integrated Engineering and they said that I will just need to buy exhaust valves and connecting rods. I know its not an easy job but it was a lot less than I expected to need.

I also plan to reduce the weight by installing better seats in the front with harnesses and also removing the rear seats. I'm not sure how else I should reduce weights.

And Jonbonesjones- Are you talking about the EFR kit from RAI? If so, that is resulting in a lot more horsepower than I'm looking for.
if you dont want to go big turbo, why the hell would you replace the rods with forged units? it would be a waste of money. and what do you mean by "for this power"? you arent going to be getting more power withougt udgrading the turbo. i'm slightly confused as to what you want in the end. you want to make a track car with a k03 turbo?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

I asked IE about what I should do to my car in order to handle the power range I wanted (300-350). They said to replace those parts as I stated and that's it. I don't get why you thought that I am keeping stock turbo just because I don't want to go to a huge turbo. By saying that I mean huge turbos that have a huge amount of lag. I don't know how else to explain it other than that.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Damn redline if you swap and go with a .63AR housing you would pick a good bit of spool back up. Since you are not trying to max the turbo out I would highly suggest it. If you take the time and watch eGay you can find them cheap. One went for $80 just the other day.

I know this is going to sound silly but I am not really fascinated with the K04. I am surprised at the fact that so many doubt its capabilities despite specific examples and its flow potential. Really I am doing this just to prove to people that is in serious doubt of it. It is no means my final setup. Its going to offer people willing to do a little work one hell of an option to produce GT28R levels of hp while responding similiar to a stock turbo.

Lets just say that I do make 250awhp with it (though it has potential for more) and the setup can be duplicated for $1000 minus exhaust and software. Why would it not be considered for builds looking for stock like response with excellent hp capaibilities? I know some other setups are offered in this cost range but for $1000 you get a real Borg Warner turbo, turbo adapter, test pipe, and turbo inlet. Considering the compressor flows as much as GT2860RS then the turbo should have fairly close potential to that turbo with better spool. To me this is very appealing. The only real concern is bending rods but a proper tune should be just fine.

Think of Franken turbo that slept with a GT2860RS and this gives you a pretty good idea.

Until I get some numbers though it is going to be a pipe dream to most. Just stay patient. I am 100% this is going to deliver, hell I have CCA4 talked into to coming when I get it dyno'd....

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by zaboomafoo1212
I asked IE about what I should do to my car in order to handle the power range I wanted (300-350). They said to replace those parts as I stated and that's it. I don't get why you thought that I am keeping stock turbo just because I don't want to go to a huge turbo. By saying that I mean huge turbos that have a huge amount of lag. I don't know how else to explain it other than that.
well if you are shooting for 300 to 350 awhp, youll need to run a big turbo. i would seriously look into an efr turbo if i were you. best on the market currently

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not trying to be a douche but I'm kind of confused about what you would still like to know.

To get anywhere above 275awhp you have to go BT. You can use a 2871r on a 2.0 like me and CCA4 said in the beginning of this thread and that will give you what you want, stock like spool and >300awhp.

Like redline is saying if you have the money then go EFR all the way.

Also just to clear it up for people looking in here, these are the common terms for turbo sizes:

Baby BT: k04, frankenturbo, gt2560 etc

BT: GTRS, GT2871r, GT3071r etc

BAT (Big *** Turbo): >GT3076r

Now clearly garret turbos are not the only ones included in these groups, but they seem to be the most well known in the Audi world.

Last edited by meloman; 02-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

I don't want to stroke my engine. What about the turbo's that Comp Turbo sells? I'm just trying to figure out which turbo I should go with that will offer the best response for the money. I know I have to go with a bigger turbo I just don't want to go huge like some other people are going.

Last edited by zaboomafoo1212; 02-20-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Potential Build