B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

possible solutions..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
The sensor on the ic is your map sensor. It's there so your ecu knows that the amount of boost that is requested is actual or very close. They arent known to fail. IAT sensor is on the throtle body.
Thanks for the correction.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

using the stock airbox with a k&n filter. i'm not trying to just swap out parts until i fix this problem, but i also dont know anyone with a vagcom. i have tried to get help from people on the forum that were on the vag list in my area and none of them would respond to me so there is nothing i can do about that. i guess i can go to the local audi mechanic and see if he will scan for codes and see if anything else is being thrown that will lead me in the right direction.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

ok i have something to add to this problem....i filled up the gas tank today and immediately afterwards, as i was pulling out of the gas station, the car died. it took about 2 or 3 minutes of cranking to get it to start back up. it has done that the last 3 or 4 times that i have filled up gas. after i get it to finally start again, everything is perfectly fine and it never does it again...only when i fill up the tank. i'm assuming that plays into this problem somehow. any ideas?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

Huh. Interesting. Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak caused by something annoying like an N80 (EVAP purge valve).

Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

i have replaced all generic vacuum lines but i still need to buy the specific ones from the dealership. my vacuum is it at 17hg when the car is cold, but after it warms up, my vacuum drops to around 10hg. i dont know if that is cause the rubber vacuum lines warm up and expand and therefore the little cracks are exposed or what. wish i had a fuel pressure gauge so i could see if i'm getting good pressure. being that my car dies every time i remove the gas cap to put gas in it (relieving the fuel pressure), i'm wondering if my fuel pressure regulator might be going bad. any input?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

huh thats weird. I go from around 15-17 cold down to about 20-23 warm.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Seems to me like a silent/cryptic vacuum leak. I would check the rats nest on the drivers side of the intake manifold that feeds the brake booster and cruise control. See if it (and then follow up with all the other lines) is holding vacuum at all... that's gotta be a pretty significant leak.

Like Tweaked said, you are stabbing around without being able to check the fuel trim or O2 readings. I think you need that confirmation so you can make testable changes to get you down the path to recovery.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

i hope this doesnt happen to me i should be getting my new maf today from the ups man and will be putting it in is the maf a usual break down with the audis?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pete7
my vacuum is it at 17hg when the car is cold, but after it warms up, my vacuum drops to around 10hg.
thats a leak somewhere. im pulling -22hg at idle and -26/27 in gear while coasting. -10 is too high to be normal.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

well i have an update on this....i finally broke down and took my car to a mechanic and they pulled the codes and the audi specific code that it is throwing is P1136 (system lean). the mechanic found that my intercooler had a patch on it that a previous owner had put on it and it was leaking pretty bad. so i swapped out the intercooler with one from a junk yard that was in good shape and cleared all the codes. well the next day the code came back... so that didnt fix my problem but it helped i guess. another code that it was throwing was intermitent resistance problem with my #1 O2 sensor. i'm gonna replace it, but could that be the problem? i mean if the sensor is intermittently not working, then the computer could think that the system is lean and its really not? i dont know. but i still have a vacuum problem that wont go away...and the mechanic said he couldnt find any leaks and so he thought it was probably my boost gauge that was leaking but who knows

Quick Reply: possible solutions..?