B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

possible dying turbo and a couple odds and ends

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear
Question possible dying turbo and a couple odds and ends

over the past couple days i've been noticing a strange sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay by the turbo. its a buzzing/vibrating sound that changes pitch a lot if that makes sense. i really only notice it when i'm idling and when i turn the car off the sound continues for a second after everything else is quiet. i guess it kinda sounds like a dentist drill but i dont wanna admit that yet.

also when i'm accelerating, around 3/4k theres a metal on metal sound that happens for a 1/2 second. it sounds like it could be the exhaust rattling or a heat shield banging around or something...idk if they're related or not but i noticed them both around the same time.

i'm not feeling any power loss and i don't have a cel but these sounds are worrying me

this i'm pretty positive is unrelated but my dash lights (the 6 in the middle- low fuel, trunk open, etc.) flash for a split second every once in a while. probably a loose wire but just puttin all the info out there.

sorry for the long post...thanks for the help

btw the car had 142k on it

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear

About the metal/metal sound. I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but I read somewhere about acoustic resonance that occurs and makes funny sounds around that RPM range. Your other sound could be something to do with climate control or emissions, but if it was turbo you'd know. White smoke, stutters, obvious power loss and LOUD sound.

When I first bought mine I heard all these quiet clinks or rattles. I used to freak out over every one, but no I've learned to turn up the radio. Older cars can make noise (mines at 173k.), and its good to be listening for trouble, but don't psych yourself out.

If you're really adament about it maybe being a turbo issue, you can detatch the airbox/turbo pipe-hose thing and (when the engine is COLD) try to move the shaft with your finger. If it moves quite a bit then you might have problems.