B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

(pic) Need Help on diagnosing this fuel leak issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default (pic) Need Help on diagnosing this fuel leak issue.

1998 Audi A4 Avant Wagon approx 90k miles

We had a pretty cold winter here in Ohio and just before the weather started changing I've noticed the odor of gasoline inside of the vehicle. Secondly, ive noticed small gas stains on the concrete where i parked my car. Also the problem seems to be worse immediately after filling up the tank past half full, and the gas mileage seems horrible. Today i decided to jack up the car and to try and diagnose the problem. First i checked the fuel lines under the hood, everything looked fine with no discernible leaks, then i checked the gas tank and i noticed the strong odor of gasoline coming directly from the fuel filter. You can see the partially dried gasoline stains near the fuel filter where gas seems to be leaking from and the gas tank (this should be made clear in the picture ive attached in this post). Im hoping this isnt a more serious issue where i need to replace the gas tank.

Its obvious to me that i need to replace the fuel filter, but i am wondering if thats going to fix my problem, or if its more complicated like a damaged gas tank? Has anyone with a 1998 a4 Avant Wagon had a similar fuel filter gas leak issue?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear

Yikes...i hope you aren't driving the car around with a gas leak. That's mad dangerous. Anyway, try replacing the filter. This seems like one of those things where if you can't diagnose the problem immediately, it would be a good idea to start by trying smaller things as opposed to spending all that money on larger repairs that could prove unnecessary, ya know?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear

There are crush washers with the fuel filter. Those are likely the issue. You might end up needing new banjo bolts if those are damaged, but just wire brush the bolts and line fittings off as good as you can, get a new filter and crush washers, and you'll probably be fine. I always recommend getting some extra crush washers because I can't always get those damn things to seal right the first time.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

joe & dragon,

thanks for the quick replies! im ordering a new fuel filter today so hopefully i will have it installed by next week and hopefully that solves the problem.

while doing research ive learned that gas leaks can come from a nipple on top of the gas tank evap line (or something to that nature) but one of the senior members said that this isnt likely on a 98 model and more likely that there is a problem with the filler neck connecting to the gas tank. Im thinking more about the filler neck issue because that would drip down directly onto the fuel filter below it.

Well, either way a new fuel filter would not hurt so i will start there.

dragon,

how could you explain the sudden onset of leakage if it was a banjo bolt? are those problematic in very cold environments?

thanks guys!