B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Pcv valve assembly info sludge prevention

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear
Default soo

so the pcv valve does cause sludge correct and i should plug my intake disconnect the valve and put on a catch can? how do i take off the valve the dumb diy is VERY unclear on like EVERYTHING... im a noob i mean i know alot about engines but i look under my hood and ***** compact i dont have a engine cover though or a intake hose for my air box -_-

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kenman
so the pcv valve does cause sludge correct and i should plug my intake disconnect the valve and put on a catch can? how do i take off the valve the dumb diy is VERY unclear on like EVERYTHING... im a noob i mean i know alot about engines but i look under my hood and ***** compact i dont have a engine cover though or a intake hose for my air box -_-
no the unburnt fuel and water vapor in the oil causes sludge overtime, not the valve

Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM

If you find the right DIYfor the sai/evap/ect... delete it 100% straight forward, pictures every step, labels, the whole 9. Search harder.

The nebefit of removing the sytem is the **** isnt getting recirculated, because if you have seen what a catch can picks up... you defiently dont want it in your engine

Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

Ok so everyones saying diffrent crap... do i remove it or not i dont want sludge or carbon build up-_- engines at 244,000 miles ima iv drip seafoam via brake vacume

Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

Please don't go tearing into your PCV system without a clue about how it works, you're going to break something. Take it to someone who know what they're doing and get them to replace whatever needs replacing, or do a lot of reading and fix it yourself. For a stock car I don't see the point of a catch can, no real benefit and it looks ugly. Plus if you have emissions testing in your state you won't ever pass with something like that.

The PCV systems in these cars are pretty basic, if I was able to piece together a fully functioning PCV and vacuum system starting with a bare motor using just DIYs and ETKA diagram and get it right the first time, you can definitely figure out what's wrong with yours.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 02-16-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default mad cow....

I have done research according to my findings this pcv valve **** causes our b5s intake to get carbon deposits which will cause a blown engine

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

That's completely untrue and make no sense, all it does it dirty up the throttle body and intake manifold a bit. Carbon deposits on the valves and TB will rob a bit of power if they get bad enough, but that's basically the extent of their damage. Every car since the 80's has a PCV system, there isn't anything special about the 1.8t that makes it blow up when carbon forms.

Think about it this way, would Audi really design a system that's faulty by design? Unless you have a turbo setup that doesn't allow the stock PCV system, keep it the way it was because anything designed in your garage is just going to be a downgrade.

Last edited by Mad Cow; 02-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kenman
I have done research according to my findings this pcv valve **** causes our b5s intake to get carbon deposits which will cause a blown engine
no, just no. a blown engine relating to pcv system would only point to the owner not maintaining the motor correctly and using preventative maintenance procedures. the only thing i can come up with is if the pcv valve were damaged or worn out causing it to stick closed or open. eventually the motor will start to have problems. the water in the oil will vaporize but stay inside the block. you'll have positive crank pressure thus blowing seals and unneeded damage and wear to piston rings. then the motor will blow, but over time. its not a wam bam gone. you would notice something is wrong way before that happened.

the idle would start to be rough, when changing oil it may look a bit milky or bubbles due to water remaining in the oil.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 PM
5th Gear

well it's your car so you decide whether you want to remove the PCV system. you can keep the system and just replace the pcv valve and vacuum hoses or get rid of it and install a catch can.

it does sound like your research is incomplete though. if i were you, i would just leave the pcv system alone

Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
1st Gear
Default options

ok replying to the guy saying audi wouldnt install a problem. umm its not there choice they have to due to the epa cause they careee sooo much about the earth.. 2nd audi wants your car to die and for them you to think it was your fault "not doing schedualed maintnetce through them" so ul buy another... any ways if this think gunks up my intake makes my car stall with the ac on reduces preformace builds carbon deposits on my intake then i really want to remove it so far iv been driving 2 weeks with the plug just unpluged and i didnt even seal my intake and it runss sooo much better so i think il seal my intake then remove the actual "valve"... and put a hose to the road that way the air pressure will suck the **** out ... xD emission test whaaa? iv never had such thing and never will so yeah lol

Quick Reply: Pcv valve assembly info sludge prevention