B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Pcv valve assembly info sludge prevention

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Pcv valve assembly info sludge prevention

SO as i understand the pcv SYSTEM is trash the whole idea is to burn the **** that pressurizes the crankcase; because it wasn't burned in the first place . when the crank case is pressurizes it damages your engine apparntly . soooo audi made the "pcv" system of hoses to take the pressurized trash gases out of the crankcase and put them into your intake to be reburned .HOWEVER THIS CREATES SLUDGE BUILD UP OVER THE YEARS WHICH KILLS OUR B5 models =( . so this thread needs to be about information and answers on how/why/ and if we should ; remove the pvc system safley and still release the crank case gases, but release them straight into the air
? any ideas or am i just completly wrong . also if this valve is broken on your audi your turbo will in fact create back pressure to the crankcase making the whole problem worse lol .

Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by kenman
when the crank case is pressurizes it damages your engine apparntly . soooo audi made the "pcv" system of hoses to take the pressurized trash gases out of the crankcase and put them into your intake to be reburned.
this isnt just an other thing. pretty much all engines need a way to release the blow by, and all engines have some blow by. i alwasy tell the story of when i watch tractor pulls, you can see their crankcase dump just absolutely spewing smoke out of there.

as for removing the pcv system, if you are stock you will need to remove the pancake valve from the intake pipe and plug the hole that it will leave. either run a catchcan setup with a tube running from the pcv hole to the catchcan. or you can just dump the tube straight to the atmosphere. thats what i do. yeah, it smells bad. i dont care. another option would be to run a tube from the pcv to the exhaust and burn the ****. tell me which option your interested in and i'll write some more details

Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

The PCV system was not implemented just for removing blow by pressure. the system also works by creating an ambient pressure inside the block. think of it this way: as the piston is moving down the cylinder, it would increase pressure inside the crank case. Then when the piston is being pushed back up the cylinder, negative pressure would occur. both scenarios create a parasitic loss in efficiency. as the piston moves down and positive pressure occurs, would slow down the piston moving and also cause wear on the compression rings.

the pcv system works because as the pressure inside the crank case builds the valve will open and allow the intake vacuum to relieve the pressure spike. This increases fuel economy, reliability, and performance of the engine.

There is a DIY on simplifying the PCV system of our cars. here on Audizine DIY - B6 1.8t - Vacuum line and Check Valve removal/simplification

Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear

Intake vacuum is actually applied to the crank case to remove water vapor from the oil/crank case. Simply plugging it off can cause the oil to get frothy with the mixed in water.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

problem with that diy which i have seen and have done research on this before just posting some random question lol everyone says the pcv valve is basicaly usless **** as of now i just un pluged the line going into my intake i couldnt find a damn cap so im waiting on some pretty colored ones comming in the mail xD i like it better without it so far though i used to not be able to use my ice cold ac because when you reved the engine while it was on after you let off the gas the rpm would go to 300 and car would almost stall which i didnt know why the **** it happened however now its gone my rpm is steady at 1000 and i can floor it and notice a significant difference i think that dumb valve was stealing horse power and causeing the burnt carbon deposits someone explain scientificaly if im correct or if im wrong but the removal is a good thing correct? and thanks redline 180 give me your opinion what you would do should i remove the whole assembly or just cap my intake and leave the hose open to the engine bay lol or put it back on ? or 3rd option waste 4 hours and remove the **** hoping no CELs happen...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 AM
5th Gear

if you're going to be deleting the pcv i would run a catchcan for sure

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 AM
1st Gear
Default ????

[QUOTE=tofast2belast;1423728] both scenarios create a parasitic loss in efficiency. as the piston moves down and positive pressure occurs, would slow down the piston moving and also cause wear on the compression rings.

how would this cause wear on compression rings do you think i should reconnect what iv read 30 proffesionals plus say causes major carbon deposits?????????? honestly idk right now my car clearly has carbon deposits and a click noise "sometimes" ? since i ghetto just disconnected it iv noticed better preformance should this be ? how can i help my car with carbon deposits ? and thank you for your feed back =)

Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

please explain why and if i should remove it and how lol just recomending a catch can doesnt help what is a catch can for this doesnt it just release unburned vapor of oil/gas ????

Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

so my engine will be fucked with it and without it nice to know explain in depth please ?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 AM
5th Gear

well you have the link for the diy on the b6 which iirc the pcv system is the same. the catch can will catch all the blow by that would have been burn and take it out of the system. you'll have to dump the catch can.

manufacturers should just use a catchcan setup and use a can large enough so that you only have to empty it every oil change

Quick Reply: Pcv valve assembly info sludge prevention